Forums

Full Version: Dundee Congress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Time to turn thoughts toward Dundee - only six weeks to go. Features this year:
New City Centre-ish venue (5 minute walk from High Street);
Decent prizes, low entry fees;
Lots of accommodation options nearby;
Free WiFi throughout the building;
Live boards for the first time;
Breakfast rolls, lunchtime snacks but plenty of eating/drinking options within easy walking;
Lots of parking within 5-10 minutes walk (not free unfortunately);
See the Dundee Congress website, enter online if you like.

Further helpful info will be added to the website in the coming weeks.
Less than two weeks to go. Our website has recently been updated with some helpful (hopefully) information:

Accommodation options including interactive maps of Central, and off-central, Dundee and Broughty Ferry. There is a regular and timely bus service in both directions stopping at the Queens Hotel, from where the venue is a five minute walk;

Parking information;

Directions including walking routes from the bus station, rail station and surrounding car parks.

The venue may be different but the organising team is the same as before (more-or-less).

Full details at www.dundee-congress.co.uk
A week to go and there's a sad lack of 2000+ players despite our first GM for quite a few years. Possibly the last for a while if there's not enough strong opposition. Any challengers?

Well, there's still a hole where the 2300s could be but in all other ways the response to the Congress is very pleasing. Numbers are now at 128, (comprising 36, 44, 48). There's room for a few more yet though.
I have now done something I never expected to have to do - closed the congress to new entries but as there is an odd number in both Major and Minor we would take one more in each. We are at 134: the room given to the Open is full and the other area for Major and Minor is at a level where I would worry about becoming cramped. We will know better for next year if the large area could take more but caution rules for this year.

The Major now has even numbers - one place left in the Minor
Stop press - we have been able to set up tables sooner than expected and get a better picture of available room. We could now take another 12 entries between Major and Minor. The Open is full though.  Text/phone Jean on 07944 221925  or email me at director@dundee-congress.co.uk
Draws for round 2:

Open - Open 2
Major - Major 2
Minor - Minor 2

Round 1 results to follow

Round 1 results:

Open - Open rd 1
Major - Major rd 1 -- caveat, the draw is incorrect in respect of effect of one game result.
Minor - Minor rd 1

Article in the Courier - Dundee Chess Congress

Round 4 draws:

Open round 4
Major round 4
Minor round 4

Standings after round 3:
Open 
Major
Minor

Would just like to say thank you to the Dundee organisers for, once again, showing how it should be done by organising a top class weekend congress. Same again next year please. Thanks!
Pages: 1 2