Forums

Full Version: Northumbria Masters, 14-18 Feb. 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From Tim Wall:

Dear chess friends,
You are warmly invited to join us for an international chess tournament, the Northumbria Chess Masters, at the legendary Chillingham pub in Newcastle upon Tyne, from 14-18 February, 2018.

It's where many players got their first experience of international chess (the current 2017 British Champion, GM Gawain Jones, was one of them, aged 8, at the first Northumbria Masters back in 1996!), and where several players achieved their first title norms (myself included). Chief Arbiter Lara Barnes and I have very happy memories of those Chillingham events back in the '90s, and we hope to recreate that friendly atmosphere once again.

Now, nearly 22 years later, "Chess at the Chilli" is back, and the event - a 9-round FIDE rated Swiss, with a total prize fund of £2,300, including a 1st prize of £1,000, is again offering opportunities for title norms. You can enter online here or download the entry form from the ECF website. (The entry fee is £60, but it's free for GMs, IMs and WGMs.)

We're aware that many players these days have busy schedules, so the event takes place over just 5 days - and is timed to coincide with the Spring Term school holidays, to enable promising local juniors to take part.

We have a certain amount of sponsorship to help Grandmasters and International Masters take part. This means that if you're a titled player (IM/GM), we have a limited number of appearance fees available, as well as being hosted by a local player during the tournament. For more details, please write to me separately or call me on: (0750) 372 2366.

Together with other club members at Forest Hall Chess Club, I look forward to welcoming you to Newcastle - whether it's your first time here, or a pleasant return visit!
Yours sincerely,

Tim Wall
Organiser, Northumbria Chess Masters
Tel: +44 (0) 750 372 2366 
Looks like an interesting event! I've just signed up, and I see Andy M has done the same. Hope to see some other Scottish folk there too.
(11-10-2017, 05:46 PM)Andrew Greet Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like an interesting event! I've just signed up, and I see Andy M has done the same. Hope to see some other Scottish folk there too.

this will be a chance to test my current playing strength at 2 games a day. likely norms available so hope to see some 2300 players, also glorney cup hopefuls