Forums

Full Version: Chess Scotland Accounts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I came across the draft unaudited accounts for the year ended 30 April 2016 on the website and was concerned to see the size of the deficit for the year. It looks as if this level of deficit is not sustainable going forward.We are almost at the end of another year and I wondered what the position is currently. Any thoughts about this.

C Black
Hopefully someone uplifted on this point at the AGM at the weekend. When will 30 April 2017 accounts be ready?

How do active membership numbers declared and subscriptions received tally up?
I remember seeing some accounts within the website. Can someone point them out please and confirm if 2017 are available yet.

I think they used to be in prominent place- would be useful to have a section for all the account to be together to look back over the years and see how they have changed. I assume that's an easy thing to arrange.
In this announcement about the new Financial Structure (see here: https://www.chessscotland.com/documents/...e_2017.pdf) it states:

Quote:Five-year Plan
Chess Scotland intends to adopt a 5-year finance reporting system that will reflect:
1. Previous 2 years accounts
2. Current accounts
3. Projected 2 year accounts

I know everyones busy, but do we know when the plan will be shared with the membership?
Thanks in advance,
Martin
I was at the AGM and correct me if I am wrong but I was told we spent £32,000 on international trips last year even though we had no grant. Income was £36000 , outgo £63000 (£31000 main, £32,000 trips) leaving cash balance £6254. I guess budget on international trips will crash to close to zero this year as we have the Glorney to pay for.
(22-08-2017, 05:26 PM)amuir Wrote: [ -> ]I was at the AGM and correct me if I am wrong but I was told we spent £32,000 on international trips last year even though we had no grant. Income was £36000 , outgo £63000 (£31000 main, £32,000 trips) leaving cash balance £6254. I guess budget on international trips will crash to close to zero this year as we have the Glorney to pay for.

So cash was £20,319 at 30 April 2016 per the draft accounts. What has actually happened since then (seems like another large deficit)? No hard figures available for year to 30 April 2017 and subsequent given apparent cash burn rate?
Have any of you tried to contact the Finance Director directly? This sort of goes to my point on another thread...

I've never actually understood why the accounts run from April to March. It doesn't even coincide with the chess season and mirroring the financial year has no benefit to CS.
Ever since CS lost our government grant it has become impossible to make ends meet financially. The CS executive are urgently addressing this issue but we need to be clear how precarious our financial position is. We are not a charity and folks throughout Scotland that play and support chess must understand, irrespective if they are a CS member, affiliate or not, that a larger monetary contribution needs to be made from all parties involved if we are to have a national body supporting us.
Some tough decisions are going to have to be made asap and I'm not suggesting a quick trim, the scythe has to be brandished! The Scottish Championships, in it's current format, is unsustainable in my opinion. Any event that incurs cost to CS, whether it's events like the Liverpool Quadrangular, Glorney or the Olympiad need to be assessed as independently as possible and now, not next year or the year after. If we don't we won't be in existence as an organisation.
The Liverpool Quadrangular, Olympiad , Glorney, Scottish look like being self funding in the future. The £33k spent on International events last year looks extravagant and I wonder where the scrutiny was on this. The last 2 Junior Directors have also resigned without adequate reason. 
The magazine is also making losses and will be online only soon. How much will the 2018 Glorney cost to fund ? Do we have enough reserves to hold it ?
(23-08-2017, 10:56 AM)amuir Wrote: [ -> ]The Liverpool Quadrangular, Olympiad , Glorney, Scottish look like being self funding in the future. The £33k spent on International events last year looks extravagant and I wonder where the scrutiny was on this. The last 2 Junior Directors have also resigned without adequate reason. 
The magazine is also making losses and will be online only soon. How much will the 2018 Glorney cost to fund ? Do we have enough reserves to hold it ?

Looks like any future event has to submit a proposal in advance before any Chess Scotland funds are committed under new finance rules issued last month. Future events must wherever possible be self funding according to those new finance rules.

30 April 2017 accounts available in draft yet for members to see a more up to date position?
Pages: 1 2