Forums

Full Version: Turner - Gormally
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Really enjoyed this hard-fought clash today! I think White is slightly better in the final position though.
The standard for invited players has clearly been set high on today's performance, I hope it continues in the future.
I particularly like how top GMs don't set the pieces up when they finish. It's a real mark of class.
I agree and although players earn the position in tournaments where they can take the draw, it defeats purpose getting top seeds to play and then not play- I would like to see no draw unless forced rule , at least till 40/50 moves for all players
To be honest Alan, we prefer the players to leave the live boards and not reset them. I spent 15 minutes fixing a couple of games tonight as the players had moved the pieces and triggered moves that had not happened.

As for short draws, my hatred of them is public and well known
Noted about the pieces Andy. Of course the post is somewhat tongue in cheek as I also had a short draw ; )
another board 1 quick draw today...
I genuinely don't see the problem. The players are playing for themselves, for the money, for the titles, not for people following online. It's very different in tournaments which have major sponsors trying to reach out to the guys sitting at their computers watching. Although I LOVE a draw, so what would I know Big Grin
Agree with Adam. The players can't be questioned for playing within the rules, and there is no unsporting behaviour here. It's a marathon, not a sprint to throw a cliché in here. 9 or 10 days of chess is mentally draining, whatever level you are at. Keeping yourself in the race with some energy in the tank for the big finish and penultimate games is chess tactics, albeit a different form of chess tactics.
It's not a big deal. Just had to let off some steam ; )
I don't blame the players at all - the organisers might want to think about making conditions for titled players "conditional" on fighting chess but that is up to them too. Would have been more fun to watch if it had been a game although if they want a draw badly enough they could always do some contentless Re1 Berlin line and trade everything....
Also, it could be worse. I managed a 4 move draw in the Richardson this year, and an even more impressive 2 move draw in SNCL so I could go and watch the football.
Pages: 1 2 3