Forums

Full Version: English tournaments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys
I may be looking to play in an English weekend tournament to play in next season especially since my grading has taken a huge battering this season. As I intend to drive I need somewhere where accommodation is cheap and easy access by car. Any ideas?

I also noticed when looking at the ECF calendar that the 4NCL is having a fide rated weekend congress in Birmingham this weekend which is unfortunate as it possibly clashes with the first rounds of the Scottish
Hi Ian,

For travelling by car the two tournaments that spring to mind are..

Blackpool- More expensive to enter now but limitless cheap accommodation (March).

South Lakes- A favourite of mine in June at the quaint Victorian resort of Grange-over-Sands overlooking Morecambe bay. Accommodation pricier but reasonable options if booked well in advance.
Scarborough
Charter le street in August

Northumberland in September, seaside accommodation at Whitley bay a few miles away
Ian, check the Welsh Chess Union events page (they'll also list Welsh tournaments on ECF). Friendly bunch too.

http://www.welshchessunion.org.uk/events
Also a 4NCL congress in Wakefield in mid-September. Good playing conditions and the hotel has a decent restaurant. Lots of eating options in the town centre a few miles away. There's a reasonable congress in Preston in early December.

By the way, the August event mentioned by Phil, is in Chester le Street.
Brendan,
thanks for pointing that out.
My failure to proof read adequately

Chester-le-Street in August ...which is near Durham and easy to reach by car from Scotland

Real fault lies with my spell checker. The system is shot.