Forums

Full Version: Dundee Congress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With a few of our highest graded players missing - at the Isle of Man - our Open will be more open than usual so here's a chance for those just bubbling under to have a decent crack. Value of the top three places is £575.

Roll up, roll up.
Disappointing numbers at this stage - 25+ less than recent years. It can't be the entry fees or prize fund surely?
Too many events in the calendar?
Dundee & Angus Chess Congress 2015
Supported by Universis Technology Ltd

Open

1st =: Richard Birkett, Peter Romilly, Murad Abdulla
U2000=: Kai Pannwitz, Graham Mooney
U1825=: Chris James, Stephen Robinson, Dariusz Kosznik, Carl Milton, Euan Gray

Challengers

1st : Luke Barker, Tariq Pasha
Combined 3rd ,U1550, junior 14-15yrs: Leston D'costa, Ioannis Dabos-Doukas, Kavafil Tahiraj
Junior 13yrs and under: Siddharth Berera

Major

1st =: Norman Andrews, John Pearston, David Adams, Euan Dawson
U1370: Subhayu Banerjee, Callum Birkett
Junior 14-15yrs: Duncan Depasquale
Junior 13 and under: Jake Sanger

Minor

1st=: Atanu Dutta, Peter Doris
3rd=: James D. Shemilt
U1000: Benjamin Ridge
Junior 13-15 yrs: Liam Mathieson, Andrew McMillan, Nandini Dutta
Junior 12 and under: Oishani Dutta, John Morrison
Primary: James Hartman

Giantkiller: Dietah Connolly Sams
lots of great junior results, nice to see.
And it's not just the young 'uns. Peter Romilly hasn't pushed a pawn since last Dundee Congress but shared 1st with 4 points and a +156 grading performance
Keith Rose Wrote:Disappointing numbers at this stage - 25+ less than recent years. It can't be the entry fees or prize fund surely?
Too many events in the calendar?

Certainly nothing wrong with the congress which seems to be widely viewed as excellent.

I regrettably had to miss the congress for the second year running as it clashed with the East Lothian school October holidays, as it did last year. That's not a criticism, just information sharing.
Keith Rose Wrote:And it's not just the young 'uns. Peter Romilly hasn't pushed a pawn since last Dundee Congress but shared 1st with 4 points and a +156 grading performance

Indeed Peter played well but if I had managed to solve the following position it could have been a different old guy with the cheque today.

[pos]2rk1b1r/1p4p1/p1bPB2p/2q5/3NQ3/5P2/PPP3PP/2KR4 w - - 0 25[/pos]

White to play for £200.

btw - Thanks once again to Keith and team. A great event professionally run as always.
Before I start trying to solve this George, are you really a rook down??
Edit: Aha, ok, you have 3 pawns for it and a winning combination Wink

P.S. How about quickly writing up the game for the magazine, George? Say, 2 days from now? Big Grin Pretty please? Think of it as extra catharsis Wink
George Neave Wrote:
Keith Rose Wrote:And it's not just the young 'uns. Peter Romilly hasn't pushed a pawn since last Dundee Congress but shared 1st with 4 points and a +156 grading performance

Indeed Peter played well but if I had managed to solve the following position it could have been a different old guy with the cheque today.

[pos]2rk1b1r/1p4p1/p1bPB2p/2q5/3NQ3/5P2/PPP3PP/2KR4 w - - 0 25[/pos]

White to play for £200.

btw - Thanks once again to Keith and team. A great event professionally run as always.

I was looking for something complicated, but the obvious Bishop x Rook on c8 looks like a simple win on material!
Pages: 1 2