Forums

Full Version: Find Ronald Malone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, please help me find any records of Ronald (Henry Jones) Malone. Born circa 1912 d 2012; an avid chess player in the Glasgow area. His clubs were (I think) Glasgow University, Howdens, he also play at the Kelvin Hall. Am unsure if the Kelvin Hall was a chess club at that time or a regular venue for tournaments. His playing days would have been around from 1932 until 1992. Any information, even just the confirmation of any of the above details would be great. Any of his games would be a fantastic bonus. Many thanks.
Pat, send a mail to the CS archivist. He might be able to help!

Ken_Stewart

I was first aware of Ronald Malone through the Herald chess column of the 50s and 60s when he was probably a member of the Glasgow Club. The column at that time reported Glasgow CC and West of Scotland Championship results and a search of these columns might give some info. I can’t remember any encounters with him at that stage or later except for noting him as a spectator at the Scotland v USSR Telex match where I was an arbiter. Later, he was a member of the Glasgow Club for at least a season when it met in the Kelvin Hall from 1989 to 1992. I played two games with him then, in the club championship and Winter Open. He was then graded 1560.
thanks guys, so far so good Smile
an astonishing response to this request; thanks to Douglas Bryson, Ken Stewart and Alan McGowan. I can confirm to Ronalds daughter her fathers clubs, his gradings and have a record of two of his games. If there are any other people with any info i will be very grateful.
Pat.
My school teacher in the early 60s was called Malone, he gave me a book, Chess with the Masters as a prize. I also wonder if the ex Celt Malone is related to either.
James Doyle Wrote:My school teacher in the early 60s was called Malone, he gave me a book, Chess with the Masters as a prize. I also wonder if the ex Celt Malone is related to either.

I think that Ronald Malone was a teacher; will find out James. Can you PM me with details of your school days and the book as well? If it is the same guy he would have been around 50/51 in the early 60's.
no James; it was a different guy, thanks anyway.
had some great replies, thanks. also got some of Ronalds games, from 50s/60s and 90s. including 4 against the mighty W.A. Fairhurst.

One further request .. if anyone in chessland can help. Ronald won a club event with a Glasgow club in the early 80's (83?) it was a shield, possibly a club championship. i would dearly love to trace this trophy. Poly are ruled out as they only have cups; it appears that Glasgow CC may be ruled out as they are defunct. I would really appreciate any assistance with this needle in a haystack, cheers.