Forums

Full Version: AGM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
My congratulations to Ian Brownlee on his election as disability officer.
I understand that my motion was accepted in principle and will go forward to council. I expect progress on this quickly.
There are some questions I want an answer to, and I wondered if the agm dealt with them
1/ the proxies that were made at the last agm. We were assured that they they would be counted as apologies and appear in the list of apologies. They were not included in the list of apologies. Why is this. They have to be included or the votes taken at that agm can be called into question.

I accept that I was defeated for the post of Disability Officer. I have heard that there were still criticisms of my resigning from previous posts. They have completely ignored my experience and qualifications for Starting my 7th year as a secretary general of a world body for chess, the IBCA and my work for FIDE in the chess for disabled committee, which is now a full commission. This work reflects well on this country.

I now feel free to say this,

The attitude shown towards me with these criticisms, only confirms my long held belief that CS is a clique ridden organisation. Power is in the hands of a few, and are not representative of the chess community
May I ask why you did not feel free to say this before, Stevie?
StevieHilton Wrote:1/ the proxies that were made at the last agm. We were assured that they they would be counted as apologies and appear in the list of apologies. They were not included in the list of apologies. Why is this. They have to be included or the votes taken at that agm can be called into question.
Oddly it is on my version. Did not realise that the old version had reappeared. Has someone pointed it out post Tromso, I could have changed it. Going out for a family celebration. I will upload it again later on

Quote:The attitude shown towards me with these criticisms, only confirms my long held belief that CS is a clique ridden organisation. Power is in the hands of a few, and are not representative of the chess community

Power is in the hands of the 20 or so people who turned up today. Given how close the vote was between the two of you, I think that statement is false.
Andy Howie Wrote:
StevieHilton Wrote:1/ the proxies that were made at the last agm. We were assured that they they would be counted as apologies and appear in the list of apologies. They were not included in the list of apologies. Why is this. They have to be included or the votes taken at that agm can be called into question.
Oddly it is on my version. Did not realise that the old version had reappeared. Has someone pointed it out post Tromso, I could have changed it. Going out for a family celebration. I will upload it again later on

Ok I look forward to reading that. I would also point out that the reworded motion was not on the website and that I am certain influenced the vote.

Quote:The attitude shown towards me with these criticisms, only confirms my long held belief that CS is a clique ridden organisation. Power is in the hands of a few, and are not representative of the chess community

Power is in the hands of the 20 or so people who turned up today. Given how close the vote was between the two of you, I think that statement is false.

I do not agree with that part of your statement Andy. This has been a fact for some time particularly since the 2009 agm. I was the only candidate for the post of Executive director back then but still I was rejected.
I resigned from the role of HD because of a decision in regards to a Richardson Cup match. That was the honourable decision and route to take and I had the integrity to take it. I have never been forgiven for this by certain sections of CS for this and this was patently obvious at the agm last year. Now it looks as if it is still the case for this post for which I am more than qualified for given my work in international disabled chess, the IBCA and the FIDE Committee Chess for the disabled. Why did I not get the position then Andy I am entitled to an explanation. My work reflects well on Chess Scotland.

Alan,
The reason I did not feel free is simple. I was seeking to contribute to CS in some capacity and I knew I had to work alongside directors because Chess Scotland is a team effort supposedly. If I had gone into a CS position with an antagonistic attitude, The team could not work.
StevieHilton Wrote:Why did I not get the position then Andy I am entitled to an explanation.

Just an educated guess here as I wasn't present at the meeting, but presumably it was because Ian got more votes?

StevieHilton Wrote:The reason I did not feel free is simple. I was seeking to contribute to CS in some capacity and I knew I had to work alongside directors because Chess Scotland is a team effort supposedly. If I had gone into a CS position with an antagonistic attitude, The team could not work.

Just because you weren't elected doesn't make CS clique, and I'm afraid the above just comes across as sour grapes.
StevieHilton Wrote:I have heard that there were still criticisms of my resigning from previous posts.
I don't recall there being a criticism regarding previous posts held by you - it was simply a clarification that asked for in this was the case. The answer given was excepted and no further discussion took place.

StevieHilton Wrote:Why did I not get the position then Andy I am entitled to an explanation.
There is no explanation necessary, quite simply your opponent got more votes than you did from those members that were at the AGM.

I must admit I take personal exception to being, even generally, classed as a member of a clique simply because I may or may not have voted the way you, or others for that matter, would prefer.

I will continue to vote independently based on my own personal views. Quite often drawing on what is actually said at the AGM during the motion discussions.

Personally I think that the work you do is highly commendable and a credit to both you and Chess Scotland. Doesn't mean I always see eye to eye with some of your opinions but that's a different matter altogether.
"Just because you weren't elected doesn't make CS clique, and I'm afraid the above just comes across as sour grapes."

Andrew,
CS has been like this for years. There are good people in CS. People offer to serve in some capacity and are turned down yet there are still vacancies.
I offered Ian Brownlee my congratulations on winning the election for the post that's not being sour grapes as you say.

I have been told that people still voted against me because of my past resignations. I am saddened by this.
Jim Webster Wrote:
StevieHilton Wrote:I have heard that there were still criticisms of my resigning from previous posts.
I don't recall there being a criticism regarding previous posts held by you - it was simply a clarification that asked for in this was the case. The answer given was excepted and no further discussion took place.

There is no explanation necessary, quite simply your opponent got more votes than you did from those members that were at the AGM.

I must admit I take personal exception to being, even generally, classed as a member of a clique simply because I may or may not have voted the way you, or others for that matter, would prefer.

I will continue to vote independently based on my own personal views. Quite often drawing on what is actually said at the AGM during the motion discussions.

Personally I think that the work you do is highly commendable and a credit to both you and Chess Scotland. Doesn't mean I always see eye to eye with some of your opinions but that's a different matter altogether.

Jim,
I did not refer to you specifically as being part of a clique. My point remains valid however. If you think that my work is commendable and I appreciate you saying that, then why I am being turned down for a position for which I have a lot of expertise and experience. The reason is that my past resignations are being used still against me
Probably not the biggest issue on many folk's mind, but I will ask anyhow - Was there any discussion on next years Scottish? I could be patient and wait for the minute, but I'm not patient and it might not be noted in the minute.
Andy B - no great criticisms of me this time - I intend having a good year while still being very forthright.
Stephen Hilton - I voted for you. People did mention your past resignations and this may have cost you votes.
As you know, you were bullied in the past for this, I remember that AGM, I was there.It wasn't right.
Richardson/Spens will be FIDE rated this year. Dougie muscled it through. He is very persuasive when he gets going.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27