Hugh D. Gemmell
21 April 1919 - 06 January 2006
- Member of Polytechnic CC in Glasgow.
- participated in minor events at Scottish Chess Association Congresses, including 1937 (photo).
- lost a play-off match against Aird Thomson for the 1939 Polytechnic club championship.
- invited to be a member of the Scottish team for the Buenos Aires Olympiad 1939 (Scotland later decided not to participate).
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery 1945, Glasgow.
- went to Shropshire just after WWII to take over his uncle’s medical practice at Westbury;
- became a leading member of the Shropshire County Team and had long spells as team captain and president of the Shropshire Chess Association.
- he won the Shropshire Championship in 1958, 1966 and 1967.
Chess, 1945, December, p 71; David Everington of Shropshire.
Compiled by Alan McGowan