Glasgow Herald chess column of December 15, 1934: The death took place on December 7 of James Dickson, for many years a prominent leader and generous patron of chess in Glasgow. Several local clubs were indebted to Mr Dickson for his services and influence, and for trophies provided for club competition, and he held various offices, including that of president, in Glasgow CC, Central CC, Bohemian CC, and Polytechnic CC [all Glasgow], being past president of Polytechnic at the time of his death. Mr Dickson was in his 77th year.
The Falkirk Herald chess column of 19 December 1934 mentioned that Mr Dickson was a a member of the Glasgow Athenaeum for nearly half a century, and joined the Glasgow CC in 1920. States that Mr Dickson presented a silver cup, which bears his name, to Glasgow CC.
From the unpublished history of Glasgow CC: The Dickson Cup presented by Mr George Dickson [this is thought to be an error, James Dickson being intended] vice-President 1923-4 and President, 1925 "for the encouragement of players not in the first class" was for a time offered in a Reserves competition but became the Junior West of Scotland Championship Cup in 1933.