The first competition for this trophy, which had been presented to the Scottish Chess Association the previous year by Mr J.B. Richardson of Stirling, then President of the SCA.
At a council meeting of the Association held in the autumn of 1898, it was agreed that the trophy should be open to competition by teams of 5 players from:
1. Any club affiliated to the Association and
2. Any other club in Scotland upon payment of an entry fee of 5 shillings.
The number of players from each club, namely five, was arranged for the express purpose of giving the smaller clubs a fair chance and not virtually confining the competition to the three or four largest clubs in Scotland.
For the first season of 1898-99, nine clubs entered. They were Burns (Glasgow), Bridge of Allan, Townhill (Fife), Stirling, Dundee, Hillhead (Glasgow), Edinburgh, Perth and Glasgow.
The final was contested in Dundee and resulted in a tie. The replay took place in Edinburgh a fortnight later.