Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primary Individual Live
Results available here (thanks to Karen for holding the WWAN connector 8 feet off the ground to do this)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.aekphotography.co.uk/Results/Primary_Individual.html">http://www.aekphotography.co.uk/Results ... idual.html</a><!-- m -->
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Well done Ben & everyone that took part.

Andy,
how come only 24 took part when capacity allows 30-32?
I have followed the live games this weekend as time has allowed and have to echo the comments made about the quality of games. If this is the kind of games we will see then I'd like to see more junior chess broadcast so it is a big well done from me! The Sanger - Vollard game in round 5 was one of my favourites and when I saw the grades of the players in the cross table I was really surprised at how low they were! Not what I expected at all

For Andy, I didn't notice any problems with the games at this side so it looks like whatever you did worked.
Thanks for the Live games Andy - I hadn't expected them at all Smile
It was good to watch a couple of my students playing on the live broadcast, though I had to hide behind my hands on a few occasions!
Congrats to Ben Volland and the others - well played!
Just to say that the sixth round games are all available now. There are some cracking games and impressive finishes amongst them!
Its great to hear so many appreciative comments about the kids games. Almost every round of the tournament they were asking me and Andy what the comments about their games were. So they'll no doubt be delighted to see all the positive feedback.

Apologies for not being able to get the standings out round by round, our intention was to do so but the internet was truly terrible, I had no mobile phone signal for the entire weekend and I still don't know how Andy managed to get the live boards to broadcast but he did. The round 5 game between Jake and Ben was one of my favorites from the weekend and well worth a look.

Just a quick thanks to the parents for bringing the kids and collecting them on the Sunday! Big Grin Also thanks to Andy, Karen & Judy for ensuring I retained some semblance of sanity throughout the weekend.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Jacqui Thomas Wrote:Andy, how come only 24 took part when capacity allows 30-32?

I'll field this one...
We only had 24 players due to the limitations of the accommodation. There are only 33 beds (counting double beds as 1 bed as we don't want any top and tailing) we then had 2 arbiters, 2 chaperones, 1 coach and 2 spectators (Euan and Eilidh as Karen and Andy were chaperoning/arbiting).

So, 33-2-2-1-2 = 26 beds, of those two beds not used one would have been in a room of four which would be fine but the other would have been in a room with the adults and I think that would have detracted from that person’s experience. As such, we could have had 25 players but then someone would have sat out each round which I wasn’t keen on so 24 it was.

For next year, as they said in Jaws "We're going to need a bigger boat" to accommodate more players. Also, as an aside, the playing hall was pretty much full with the 8 live boards and 4 wooden boards; I doubt we could accommodate any more boards and if we get more live boards there would be no chance that the dinning hall would be big enough.
robin moore Wrote:Just to say that the sixth round games are all available now. There are some cracking games and impressive finishes amongst them!

Yea noticed the link was slightly wrong. Hopefully most people realized themselves and fixed it. :ymblushing:

That is the problem with a bad connection. It took just about everything to get the games out.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
David Deary Wrote:Apologies for not being able to get the standings out round by round, our intention was to do so but the internet was truly terrible, I had no mobile phone signal for the entire weekend and I still don't know how Andy managed to get the live boards to broadcast but he did.

Getting Karen to hold the transmitter 8 foot off the ground to get a connection at times helped Big Grin

I have to echo Davids comments. It was a really good weekend and given this was David, Judy and Karen's first, I thought the three of them did really really well. The key thing is did the kids enjoy themselves? Given the number of parents who came up to me at the end and thanked us for the weekend I have to say yes!
I forgot to mention, a big thanks to Anna Milton for her coaching and analysis with the kids after their games.

Also, congratulations to Anna 'Swindler' Milton who also won our impromptu blitz tournament (from 9:45pm to 11:00pm on Saturday night) after tricking Vagif in the play-off for the title. :ymapplause: