Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Hartson chess GM on Gogglebox
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Cam...070000.htm

Watching very funny gogglebox on catch up (recommend it). Thought guy was a ringer for Alasdair Stewart newsreader - when he had black hair. Turns out he plays chess.

Why dont you? I am sure that was the programme he presented before or after chess programme where they set you a chess problem and dint tell you till next day - bpc - before PC's - those where the days!
:ymparty: Cant remember name of the programme but it had a catchy tune as well. - Answers on a postacrd
LOL... saw the headline from your post on the main menu... then watched the programme last night. Quite funny actually.

ISTR though, Bill wasn't at all involved with the Why Don't You programme, but was the presenter of Play Chess, both programmes being shown during the summer holidays in mid-late 1970s...
Graham Kerr Wrote:LOL... saw the headline from your post on the main menu... then watched the programme last night. Quite funny actually.

ISTR though, Bill wasn't at all involved with the Why Don't You programme, but was the presenter of Play Chess, both programmes being shown during the summer holidays in mid-late 1970s...

Sorry I wasn't very clear - I was trying to be clever linking Why don't you as in subject heading- but I do remember enjoying both programmes!

Round about the same time of dedicated chess computers - I got one for Xmas and used to play a move before school and come back it still had not moved - god they were awful!
Alex Gillies Wrote:
Graham Kerr Wrote:LOL... saw the headline from your post on the main menu... then watched the programme last night. Quite funny actually.

Sorry I wasn't very clear - I was trying to be clever linking Why don't you as in subject heading- but I do remember enjoying both programmes!

Round about the same time of dedicated chess computers - I got one for Xmas and used to play a move before school and come back it still had not moved - god they were awful!

LOL, i wonder if that was the same one i had, i only chucked it out a couple of years ago... I remember playing it on the top level (level eight), it was like playing postal chess, taking days sometimes to make its move...

BTW,
Sitting at home watching TV,
Turn it off no good for me
Why Don't You
Why Don't You
Why Don't You switch off your television set and go do something less boring instead...

I must surely be due a bonus point...
Aye I feel like a dinosaur !
I've even found my old chess computer advertised on Amazon...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acetronic-x-Chess-Traveller/dp/B007OUT9V0">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acetronic-x-Che ... B007OUT9V0</a><!-- m -->
No way - that's the exact one I had!

I might get it for Craig - see if it will slow him down a bit.
Alex Gillies Wrote:No way - that's the exact one I had!

I might get it for Craig - see if it will slow him down a bit.

LOL... it might prepare him for the Centre-Counter... ISTR that it played d5 in response to 1.e4 almost all of the time...
Now you mention it I recall it did do that - must be a pattern thing like pacman. I also could play a line where it got mated in 15 moves on level 4 every time - dint stop me doing it 20+times!

I think we should half in for the one on amazon and use it as a booby prize or start a Scottish chess museum! *-Smile
LOL, it was also a sucker for gambits...