Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luke Barker - MacAulay and Co
Luke Barker's interview and coaching session on the BBC Radio Scotland programme MacAulay and Co, yesterday, can be heard here. If this link does not work with your PC, the programme which was broadcast on 14 April is available on BBC for 7 days. If you listen via the BBC link, the chess part starts at around 01:19:16.

Well done Luke for promoting chess on radio as well as your coaching work.
Thanks Mr Steinitz.

The coaching went well, which was tricky as wasn't sure what level they were beforehand, and have had little experience of absolute beginners. Plus I was a bit nervous about the radio bit! Smile

It worked quite well though, I was able to quickly go through the pieces and setup and get across the objctive of the game. Then reinforced this with a couple of mini games of Q vs 8 pawns and 2 knights vs a King to show how you can try to capture the king.

Never been on the radio before and perhaps over desperate not to say anything stupid lol Smile Freds question about the king on the left (?) was a bit confusing as the board had been put jsut then on my left and I usually think about it more in terms of king on a black square etc, but it was amusing at least haha! Not sure they really got I was merely a volunteer but they were friendly and interested questions, which is the kind of support chess needs media-wise.

I wanted to say more on the Sport status that chess needs (at least in features if not in name) to get more funding but didn't quite manage to express that. Maybe next time!

Was good fun anyway and the BBC offices are great.
I have been on Fred's show in the past & you have to be swift to sneak in any extra bits you want to put across but I have to admit I was shouting at the radio 'tell them the queen sits on the same colour she is' apart from anything else the juniors seem to grasp that
Jacqui Thomas Wrote:I have been on Fred's show in the past & you have to be swift to sneak in any extra bits you want to put across but I have to admit I was shouting at the radio 'tell them the queen sits on the same colour she is' apart from anything else the juniors seem to grasp that

ha, yes, that's the way I always think of it. I was too obliging trying to answer the questions directly- guess I need to get some media training to get my agenda across haha Smile was also just noticing a message on my desk saying no water / drinks on the table for electronic risk, right as I plonked down my water ... rookie mistake xD

When were you on Jacqui? Be interested to hear that if you have a recording. I think there will be lots more things like this as the parliament thing looks quite serious. Perhaps Chess Scotland should prepare a press release for the website on the matter to get key points across.

In Scotland I know we do get some money from the govt. But in England/Wales they have CSC although now get no money whatsoever from Dept. of Culture. (so it's name is a bit of a misnomer I think!)
Sadly Scotland now gets nowt as well. The grant was withdrawn 2 (?) years ago.
The Jacqui Thomas interview took place in April 2011. At the time, I gave a copy to Jacqui Thomas and have now uploaded here for completeness. Please be patient with longish lead in at start of file, will try and get round to editing out the first 10 or so seconds.
Andy McCulloch Wrote:Sadly Scotland now gets nowt as well. The grant was withdrawn 2 (?) years ago.

Spring 2013 but with 1/4 of previous grant (£2,650) still paid out -as a kind of parachute payment- and going into the 2013 to 2014 budget.
Ooof - so there is basically NO support financially for chess in the UK? That just seems really wrong to me Sad

I had read a bit about the Chess Scotland code beforehand and I had thought it said the Scottish Govt. did supply some money, will try and find it later.
I should be able to edit my own audio recording also so it is just the relevant 10 mins.

Look forward to listening to Jacqui's later!

Have a good Easter all :-)
Finally got round to editing the start of the Jacqui Thomas recording. Unfortunately the file is now larger than previously.