Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
Jacqui Thomas Wrote:Robin, I appreciate that this looks good on the surface but without sounding too negative do we know how many have given up chess because the additional coaching all be it online or not (a) took the fun out of it (b) put too much pressure on them or how many have not improved since having online coaching. The latter is not necessarily any reflection on the coaches but perhaps more to do with adapting play between screen & over the board.

If (emphasis on the IF) the resources are there maybe the old system of a Junior Squad training day could be set up. This would be most valuable in the lead up to the Glorney festival. To be honest would be much more beneficial than having coaches at the event imo.

I want to answer these on a personal level. I have coached a total of 7 children since becoming an online coach over two years ago. Only one of this 7 is currently not actively playing, which I would say is an encouraging rate. If done correctly, there should be no pressure put on the child, but instead encouragement and help to improve. As for are the children improving, it is a definite yes. Last year, all of my students hit the 200up (something I was very proud of), and looking around the coaches, the results are similar, in that our students are improving ahead of the average rate you would expect. The ability to provide children all across Scotland with a strong chess coach for a very modest fee, is very much going in the correct direction, and I know ~8y ago, I myself would have been delighted had this existed. There are also some advantages in online coaching over face to face. For example I can pull up resources, and check through ideas much faster online. Of course it is not for everyone, but in general, if the child is interested enough to want lessons, and the coach is able to interact with the student well, there should be no negative effects.

As for the training days, they definitely do have a purpose and are good, however I do agree with Calum that they are no substitute for regular coaching. I organised one in Aberdeen last August, and had 30 children attend, varying from 200 to 1800, so I don't agree that "the 'talented' players dont seem to attend the sessions", as long as it is planned well. Whether the event has encouraged the children just starting out in chess is yet to be seen, but the feedback was positive, and indeed in one case I remember, a child who had not played in 6 months started playing again after turning up to the event.

Again, all of this coaching can only be a good thing, provided it is done in a positive way.
Some folks have been kind enough to update me on the present online coaching situation. I thought it best to check the previous congress (Glenrothes) incase the Edinburgh stats were misleading.

Scottish J17 and under at Glenrothes receiving online coaching..

Premier 4/4
Major 6/7
Minor 4/11

I was also astonished but delighted to hear that the boy who won the Edinburgh Knights event has only been receiving online coaching for a few months and had never before played in an adult congress or at longer time controls.
Adam Bremner Wrote:I want to answer these on a personal level. I have coached a total of 7 children since becoming an online coach over two years ago. Only one of this 7 is currently not actively playing, which I would say is an encouraging rate.
Adam that is not only encouraging but impressive & that sort of data is very important as that gives an overall picture. :ymapplause:
Folks,

The structure of support for juniors aged approx eleven and above seems to be in place, mostly in the shape of online coaching. The juniors receiving this coaching appear to be very active and successful players at congress level and to a fair extent at international level. They also have very supportive families which is extremely important.

However, there seems to be a gap in Scotland in general about supporting younger juniors, say aged six to ten.

There have been initiatives in some regions to simply get quantities of juniors competing at a local school and county level. Of course, that's great, but how do we move on to support these young persons at national and international level?

In essence, how can that apparent gap in years be bridged? If, as a nation, we wish to be competitive at all ages and genders, does a long term plan need to be considered?
I am waiting to be contacted about junior training - I prefer face to face.
Unfortunately the Glorney clashes with the Olympiad so I cannot be present at the Glorney. I would have thought that the Scottish Boys championship was an opportunity or a simul. I will leave online training for others.
robin moore Wrote:Folks,

The structure of support for juniors aged approx eleven and above seems to be in place, ?

I disagree 100% there appears to a death once kids get to secondary school due to the structure there. I feel these kids should be pointed to their local chess clubs. On the other hand primary kids seem to be well catered for , thanks to bodies as NEJCA, SJC and LJC and hopefully the new initiatives of the Home Junior Board. I keep stressing that encouraging schools and local chess clubs to participate is the key although I recognise the issues at secondary school level. I also notice that the average age of chess clubs seems to creep up every year. I know or one or two clubs where this is becoming a crisis and hass to be addressed.
Ianbrownlee Wrote:I also notice that the average age of chess clubs seems to creep up every year. I know or one or two clubs where this is becoming a crisis and hass to be addressed.

The clubs themselves need to take some responsibility for this. They need to make the clubs welcoming to kids (and their parents) and offer them support, primarily through training.

If no members are willing to give up some of their time to kids and just hope that others will do it then they will suffer in the long term.

First impressions are important. Welcome them, devote time to them and you may see the benefits, particularly if they then start bringing their friends along.

I was at one club as a visitor when a keen teenager turned up for the first time and nobody from the club bothered to speak to him. I doubt that he ever went back.

I know that some clubs may not be set up for this for various reasons but they should start some level of forward planning.

Clubs are vital in developing young talent and making sure that they don't drift away into other pastimes.
Ian,

Perhaps, to be clearer, I should have said older juniors who are actively playing are being well supported.

Establishing a chess club from scratch at a secondary school is tough without really enthusiastic folk. I liked the idea suggested on another thread that if clubs could be established at primary "feeder" schools, there would be a much better chance of maintaining a successful secondary school club.

There is some great work being done at primary school level by the organisations you mention and others in various areas of the country. However, we don't seem to be able to consistently find players at Under 8 and Under 10 level that would be considered strong enough to play at events such as the World Youth or Euroyouth.

The fear of course is that CS select a young player to play at that level, they are completely outclassed, perhaps feel isolated that there is no-one else of their own age group attending and consequently give up the game. Similar has happened before. Nobody wants to see a scenario like that but I would be interested to hear any thoughts on how CS may move forward in that direction.
I am very surprised by Robin comments, traditionally chess is pretty well catered for at primary level, but falls away dramatically at secondary school level. The are a number of coaches doing good work with secondary school pupils in Scotland, but this is a (very) limited number of players. You only need look at the Glorney Cup where if players are unavailable you very quickly have to draw in players from younger age groups.
There is a huge amount in what Derek says.
Matt,

Tried to clarify what I intended to say in the post above yours.