Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
As always a thoughtful comment from Alex and more of a bold under-line rant from Phil! O:-)

When I attended these events there were quite a number of No 1 players who were only there because it was subsidized: they were not strong players and showed little motivation for the game. For some it would be their first and last event of the year. It always seemed wrong when stronger, more committed players had to fork out considerable amounts to attend.

Quote:'m also concerned about how you judge potential. I have known an 8 year old who was better than a 10 year old but the main reason for this was that the 8 year old had been playing for 4 years and the 10 year old for less than a year but both were top of their age group. Potential implies continuation to reach the predicted level. How do we know who will be playing in 5 years time?

I am not sure you can judge potential. You can certainly test theoretical knowledge and I would try and include some test of theoretical knowledge. I think this would also have the advantage of being a good indicator of a players work ethic and in that sense a predictor of those players most likely to succeed.

I would note that swimming now encourages trainers and parents to engender a constructive mindset towards training and competing, and it has been added as a selection criterion for the National squads.
Quote:I did a dangerous thing myself in the week. I assumed that no one from CS had approached the Euroyouth organisers directly to ask the question. Therefore I did so myself.

Phil, why do you consider your action "dangerous"?
Good to see that the personal abuse and my stalker have started. Usually means that I have won the argument.
Right, moderator hat on.

Cool it, folks. For a thread featuring actual disagreements about junior chess, this was going so well up until recently. Phil, Hamish, you've both been warned. Please nobody else start anything either, or bannings, deletions and locking may take place.

(I'm also probably banning the next person who uses that smiley. I blame McHarg.)

Moderator hat off.

That's interesting, Phil - would you be able to copy that correspondence onto the board?
Hugh Brechin Wrote:(I'm also probably banning the next person who uses that smiley. I blame McHarg.)

Just back after a trip down south with work. Thanks Hugh. Actually it was me not Mr McHarg Smile
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Yep, I know the feeling: I'm taking my 2 girls down to the British - given lost work time, accommodation, travel etc the cost is easily non-trivial 4 figures. I would rather have partially funded an SC team presence (and did offer) but I believe it was considered to be too close to the Glorney this year.

Clearly resources and SC assistance will always be limited ; all we can really do is ensure that this is assessed and provided as fairly and transparently as possible - perhaps even on a needs basis. I would never like to think someone with talent and enthusiasm was prevented from attending something due to cost.

Perhaps the process and examples of financial support for the season just ended could be posted for review and discussion ahead of the new season starting.
What events are CS planning to attend/be represented in this year?
When are the selections taking place for these?
What criteria will be used?
When will they be announced?
Same question: as above, what is planned for this season?
Peter,

I am certain Rachel will get her chance to represent Scotland at international events in the future. She has real talent. However, you must give consideration to other improving juniors that are working hard to force themselves into contention for a Glorney event place.