Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth games
Queens Baton Relay

April 1st, 2014

I have just been informed that Callum Smith has been selected for the Queens Baton Relay in Banchory on 29th June. Callum was selected for his chess playing as well as his work helping with the Chess Club in a local primary school.

Very well done Callum, fantastic to see you getting this honour!

Andy Howie
Executive Director

Well done Callum!
Congratulations Callum on a once in a lifetime opportunity!!!! :-)
Watched Callum's run live on the BBC website this morning.

He looked really happy and proud as he waved to the spectators along the route.

I wonder if he'll be wearing his kilt at the Commonwealth Chess Championships this week?
From the BBC website -

Quote:Jamie Ross

BBC Scotland

Welcome to Banchory!

Posted at 09:31

The baton has touched down for the next leg of its journey in Banchory.

The first baton bearer is chess supremo Callum Smith. At 12 Callum was introduced to chess and within a matter of months was hooked. In only his first year of competing, he came second in the Chess Grand Prix and was selected to represent the Scotland squad for "outstanding performance".

Not content with merely playing chess, Callum voluntarily gives up his own time at Banchory Primary School Chess Club, serving as - to other budding chess players - both a mentor and friend.

There's also footage of the relay at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-28045394">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-28045394</a><!-- m -->

Callum picks up the baton at about 9.30 on the player, the picture does disappear for a bit but comes back towards the end of his leg, when he passes the baton over, after having his photograph taken.

Well done Callum for today and for giving your time at School to encourage chess.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Rachel still doesn't have her medal ; if someone could post it sometime that would be great.

Thanks.
Have you contacted Alex?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Yes - I've emailed a few times.
To be honest, it's getting a little embarrassing and Rachel has asked a few times so what should I tell her?

She seems to be suffering from a variety of less than encouraging treatment at the moment from CS.
I have told Peter that I normally give out prizes that people do not collect when I see them at congresses.

If she is at Largs then she will get it then.

All people who were present at the prizegiving have received their prizes.
All people who notified me in advance that they were unable to attend the prize giving got their prize.

I have already indicated my policy to Peter in at least two emails.
Sorry, but I have a real weakness for facts:

I approached the arbiters on the day and asked if there were any grading prizes in Rachel's event ; I had no idea there was the medal for her result, so indicated we would be leaving - again, no mention she might be eligible for a prize. If we had known, we would have stayed.

Not withstanding that, the period that has elapsed is frankly ridiculous - we are talking about an 11 year old girl. And one showing fairly stunning progress who appears to be routinely disrespected and discounted by this organisation.

To be blunt, I am very close to simply removing myself and my daughters from a clearly male oriented club that I have real difficulty in respecting - and one that is clearly too content with itself to consider the possibility that it could improve or change.

[She will not be at Largs ; she was at Marymass - which I indicated, but... I am wasting my breath and energy - as, I suspect, are my daughters.]
Peter,

Many of us attend prizegivings because we want to support the event, hopefully giving a hand to clear things away. Winning a prize is nice but to me is secondary.

Rachel has real talent and I am certain that at the rate she is improving, will have chances to represent Scotland in the future. Keep going, it's worth it!