Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spare equipment needed for Juniors club
A big thank you to SJC for any assistance received
Hamilton Chess Club have a number of analogue clocks no longer in use. We will share these out between Dunbar Grammar School, Stonycroft school and Harry Marron.

Delivery logistics - - - - most likely being combined with the boards and pieces coming from SJC.
I'd just like to say on behalf of Dunbar Chess Club thanks to all those involved with Junior Chess who have emailed me with help and advice recently, there is many of you.

Dunbar Chess club is only 4 years old, and going from strength to strength with an ever increasing membership. I am hopefull we may be able to enter a 2nd team in competitions in the next year or so if we keep progressing as we are.

Dunbar Grammar School is only a few months old and has 15 kids coming, 12 on a regular basis. They have a keen chess playing teacher in place there and have been kindly donated some equipment to get things properly moving, many thanks to SJC and Hamilton Chess Club for their recent donation. Matches with other schools are being talked about and will happen. The future looks great for this club.

Dunbar Primary had a club but it has been dormant for several years. I am restarting their club after the summer hols when my own son starts P1. I believe they already have plenty equipment and are ready to go.

West Barns Primary (in West Barns just next to Dunbar) has a new club starting up for the first time. A primary teacher who can play chess, and has a chess playing son of their own at the school is going to run this with other parents helping, and is getting support from our club.

Dunbar is just a small seaside town, so to have this amount of chess activity is unbelievable. Hopefully it is a winner for everyone, not just Dunbar, but Jnr Chess and the Jnr tournaments, the adult chess scene, and perhaps even our International teams one day.
Hi Phil

I tried to send you a msg on here, but it won't send. Just to note I had arranged via messages with Jacqui/Derek for Dunbar equipment to be picked up at the SNCL on 23rd Feb, just to save any postage costs. Richard Carter from our club who plays for the Dragons will be collecting it.

Cheers - Jonathan
Great effort Jonathan. Similarly Lenzie CA is in it's 4th year of operation and now has 22 paid up members (All aged under 14) and who attend almost every week (must be doing something right!), 2 Volunteer Coaches (both aged under 16), not to mention the 2 Scotland Under 12 playing ex members who have moved on to bigger and better things!

I deeply appreciate the offer of equipment from SJC and Hamilton Chess Club and have agreed to minimise delivery costs by uplifting these personally at the SJC National Age Championships on Feb 15/16, where I will hopefully have a team of kids ready to do some serious business on a big stage! The challenge is also laid down to (and accepted by) Hamilton Junior Chess Club (reputedly one of the strongest, if not the strongest Junior CC in Scotland) to a match up sometime May/June. Does Dunbar want to get involved??? Can't wait! :-)
Hard to say where the strongest "junior club" is. If it is considered the club with the strongest juniors then Bon Accord are the best with Castlehill, Greenwood and Hamilton in there too. However, most of their best juniors play adult league and congress events. Northern Juniors have a lot of good players but they are more a region than a club. It's pretty difficult to identify the strongest club that only play junior events.
Jonathan Livingstone Wrote:Hi Phil

I tried to send you a msg on here, but it won't send. Just to note I had arranged via messages with Jacqui/Derek for Dunbar equipment to be picked up at the SNCL on 23rd Feb, just to save any postage costs. Richard Carter from our club who plays for the Dragons will be collecting it.

Cheers - Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Private message came through timed at 2.30 this afternoon. Its one of the quirks of the notice board that messages appear not to be sent when in fact you've done everything necessary to transmit.

One thing I don't understand about the private message system. The in-box has a stated capacity of 20 messages. If I store 20 messages in there (currently 12 in mine ) does the 21st bounce back to sender or does it get delivered and delete the oldest message in there?
Does anyone out there know the answer ?
It goes to a waiting list until you delete some messages
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
harrymarron Wrote:The challenge is also laid down to (and accepted by) Hamilton Junior Chess Club (reputedly one of the strongest, if not the strongest Junior CC in Scotland) to a match up sometime May/June. Does Dunbar want to get involved??? Can't wait! :-)

That is definetly a bit too soon for Dunbar Juniors. Everything is early days with the school clubs, and still getting structured. We have still to get a Junior club outwith the schools up and running, that won't be until after the summer if it is to happen. That has to be the ultimate ambition at the moment.

Appreciate the suggestion and it is good to know these opportunities will be available. I will definetly keep in touch with the junior scene and will probably be pestering Hamilton, Lenzie and other junior clubs for matches etc before long.
On behalf of the Smithycroft School Chess Club I would like to thank Hamilton Chess Club for donationg four chess clocks to our club. I know that the young people will be delighted to have them =)