Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spare equipment needed for Juniors club
I am putting out an appeal to the Scottish Chess scene, on the off-chance there may be some spare equipment for a school club at Dunbar Grammar School. A chess playing teacher and chess enthusiast has been running a weekly club recently. It has now grown quite big to about 15 regulars coming along each week. In his own words, the teacher has also been using chess as an aid in some of his lessons with some of the challenged pupils.

However the teacher has supplied some very basic chess sets at his own cost, which frankly are not fit for purpose. In addition to some decent standard chess sets they need some clocks to take them forward and get involved in some competitive chess playing.

They are ready to start playing friendlys against other local schools, and are looking to form links up with other schools and to hopefuly start up a High School League. All of this is currently lacking in the East Lothian area. Dunbar Chess Club is encouraging and supporting the school club as much as we can.

If there is any spare sets/clocks at any clubs, or from clubs that have folded up in the past, the school club would be most grateful. I can be contacted directly on <!-- e --><a href="mailto:noahs.dad@btinternet.com">noahs.dad@btinternet.com</a><!-- e -->

Jonathan Livingstone
Dunbar Chess Club
Just checking with someone I know who might. Will contact you by PM if sucessfull
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Thanks Andy, all efforts appreciated. There is 15 regular kids coming along to the weekly school club. I want to seize the moment with a teacher involved, before these kids get lost to the chess wildnerness. The teacher Nicholas O'Halloran is excellent, we had him at our own club last night, very enthusiastic and knowledgable of chess and giving up lots of his own time. He is now a signed up member of our club, and is a sticker with regards to the school club, he is in this for the long haul.

Some of the sets they currently use are just awful, tiny boards where an adult hand knocks over half the pieces when you make a move. None of the kids have ever used a clock before. I am hopeful we will have them playing friendlies soon, and have a school league up and running for the next school year after the summer hols.

There is of course funding options, but that is longer term as it takes time, and trying to get the school parent council group to supply funding is nothing short of difficult. I am taking a transparent view on this and will be documenting the progress of the club on the Dunbar Chess Club website.
I'd be delighted to take any spare equipment also Andy!!! I have 22 regular juniors attending from 8 different Primaries and 3 different Secondaries in East Dunbartonshire. Cheers
Hi Jonathan,

Unfortunately the kit had already been given to another school. Apologies for that. If I hear of any spare kit anywhere I'll let you know
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy, no apologies neccessary. Thanks for taking the time to enquire.
In Ayrshire the first place to have asked would have been the Ayrshire Chess Association, does the local league/association where you are not try to support schools chess in this way?
Believe it or not there is nothing for secondary schools. There is a lot of support and leagues for the primary schools however at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lothianjuniorchess.org.uk/">http://www.lothianjuniorchess.org.uk/</a><!-- m --> and other associations within Scotland. That is the current situation as I understand it.
SJC would be happy to donate some chess sets and boards to both Dunbar Grammar and Harry's club. =)
Derek that is wonderful. Thanks for your private msg, have just replied.