Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What has changed in school chess?
The topic regarding the location of the ChessScotland Girls Championships made me think about chess in schools, particularly secondary schools, over the time of my playing career.

In my third year at Greenwood Academy in Ayrshire (a state comprehensive), along game this maths teacher called Stephen Taylor who started the school chess club. Soon he was overrun by (mostly) guys and girls wanting to play chess at lunchtime and after school finished. He formed some teams, we entered the Ayrshire school league, then the national jamborees that were held throughout Scotland for teams of ten.

At that time there were four divisions of ten teams mostly made up as I recall by private schools. It was great fun to travel to host places like Madras and Robert Gordons staying in youth hostels and trekking everywhere in Scotland to play chess as a team. Our school didn't have much money but Stephen was creative using his youth hostel leader's badge and family railcard/vouchers off the back of cornflakes packets to get us all to events.

Stephen is still there at Greenwood running the school chess club and is as enthusiastic as ever. Many of his former chess students like Elliot Frew, David Deary, David Congalton, Crawford MacNab and myself are just as enthusiastic today, right through to guys like Daniel Deary and Jack Stewart who are the cream of the current Greenwood crop. I am sure all of us would consider Stephen as a good friend and always will.

What has changed nationally and above all why has it changed?

Has the Scottish school curriculum made it more difficult for enthusiastic teachers to commit their time to out of hours activities like chess?

Is money the reason? Are parents unable to afford to send their children to regional and national school events?

Have children got different interests in our modern technology driven society?

Would be good to hear the views of guys who played school chess in those "golden years" of the post Fischer era, both from a private and state school perspective.
Robin
I am a qualified secondary school teacher and an International Master. I am currently unemployed and would go back to teaching if it was safe for the teacher. When corporal punishment was taken away it leaves the teacher with little protection. I would love to teach chess and mathematics at a high level but it only takes one disruptive pupil to destroy the whole lesson and I am uncapable of controlling the class and don't see why I should suffer high blood pressure shouting at pupils. Therefore I have retired from teaching and await a non-existing actuarial job as all the pension schemes and with-profit funds are closing down.
I don't want to deviate off topic, but corporal punishment Andy? That sounds like a complete cop-out to me. If a child is being disruptive in an after-school club then you have the power to ban them from attending it.

The main reason for Chess not being as popular in some areas these days is due to a lack of volunteers driving it forward. It's no coincidence that in places where there are committed volunteers Chess is thriving. Look at what Michael Hanley is doing, for instance. If CS had 50 Michael Hanley's strategically located around the country then Chess would be being played by thousands of school children across the country who currently aren't playing it. That's not to down the efforts of other volunteers - who are undoubtedly doing fantastic work as well.

Why volunteers aren't coming forward is anyone's guess, and there are probably lots of reasons. However, it's not because of what Andy M said - as if it were then we'd have to ask why other school clubs such as football etc are still thriving. But it doesn't need to be a teacher in a school who starts up a Chess club. In fact, many of the best Chess clubs out there are run by an enthusiastic parent or two. You don't even need to be a brilliant player to run a brilliant Chess club.
Andrew McHarg Wrote:Look at what Michael Hanley is doing, for instance. If CS had 50 Michael Hanley's strategically located around the country then Chess would be being played by thousands of school children across the country who currently aren't playing it

I agree totally, the number of hours he puts in is frightening. I asked Michael ( as others should) what the problem is and got the impression that the structure of secondary schools was one of the main problems Primary schools are an excellent base and doesn't require an in situ teacher but chess clubs in secondary schools require a teacher present when conducting clubs. I only put in one hour per week at a primary school but still manage to get around 36 kids to attend . I personally think a two pronged approach to secondary schools, one from the local chess clubs and the other from Chess Scotland on a national basis indicating at least where the local clubs are (most secondary schools aren't even aware of where the local chess clubs are) would solve most of theses issues. I also think the keenness of chess clubs breaking up early for the summer doesn't help (as soon as the leagues finish) I remember running such a junior club over the summer years ago was a resounding success at Carluke Chess Club

I produced a document indicating a personal opinion of Scottish Chess and what can be done to improve the system. If anyone wants a copy then please let me know and I'll send over a copy for discussion
Ianbrownlee Wrote:I personally think a two pronged approach to secondary schools, one from the local chess clubs and the other from Chess Scotland on a national basis indicating at least where the local clubs are (most secondary schools aren't even aware of where the local chess clubs are) would solve most of theses issues. I also think the keenness of chess clubs breaking up early for the summer doesn't help (as soon as the leagues finish) I remember running such a junior club over the summer years ago was a resounding success at Carluke Chess Club

Just about to head for the airport so just a quick post - my view is quite similar to what Ian has suggested above.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
[quote="Andrew McHarg"]I don't want to deviate off topic, but corporal punishment Andy? That sounds like a complete cop-out to me. If a child is being disruptive in an after-school club then you have the power to ban them from attending it.

Andrew - the teacher in the after-school club will be the main teacher and he will have to survive the 9-3.30 first to get to the after-school. There are very few inter-school games because of this. Michael Hanley is producing lots of kids but they give up at their teen years and dont make the adult first team because of lack of inter-school games toughening them up.
I think we have to be positive about and kick start whatever process that needs to take place. We are all agreed that something has to be done ASAP on several different levels namely , improve co-operation and communication internally and generally improve communications externally. Masses of volunteers aren't necessary, but organisation and commitment is. Mick and others are providing an excellent service at the primary school level. We need to carry on this commitment at the next level
There are definitely good things happening in primary school chess around the country.
Earlier this year I heard two mothers on a train discussing their children's school chess club - the train had come from somewhere in Ayrshire - I was on the Paisley to Glasgow section.
A work colleague of mine has a son in their school chess club (South Lanarkshire) "he hasn't won a game yet, but he enjoys it!".
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
there are "spikes" in chess playing/attainment and enjoyment where there are committed volunteers/coaches/teachers in situ. I agree we need more Mike Hanleys/Steven Taylors but am unsure how we get them.
There are good models in place in Slovakia and the likes but there appear to be an abundance of coaches at every level to facilitate the upward progress of the juniors. What there is in the Slovakian model is an attitude and approach to chess that is different from what we have. The country as a whole view chess as something worthwhile and desirable to have children to attend. It is taught in primary schools, chess clubs flourish. The talent that is produced is of a high standard and of significant depth both in girls and boys chess.
Far from leaving it to small pockets of excellent effort, as we have in Scotland, there are state sponsored programmes both in and out of school to promote chess. Ergo if we wish to emulate the central/eastern european success then our government (nationally/locally) intervention is essential. Local and national chess associations need to work hand in hand to take advantage of any government support. Until then we will produce some good players, occasionally some great players but not in the scale of similar sized countries.
e.g.
statistically Slovakia has 50 titled players over 2300, we have 20. from a population roughly similar, 5.3 million. this example suggests it can be done. (similar figures % wise for Czech Republic; 100 titled players over 2300 from a population of roughly 10 million).
I agree that another 50 Mike Hanleys would be a good thing for Chess in Scotland, as do the producers of lorne sausage throughout the country!