Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East/West of Scotland 2013-14
I can announce that these events - if they can be called that now - will be incorporated within the Edinburgh and Ayr Congresses this season.

Keith
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:homedirector@chessscotland.com">homedirector@chessscotland.com</a><!-- e -->
Maybe we can look at starting them as separate tournaments again in 2015. 2014 is going to be really busy but I'd like to see something along the lines of

Top section FIDE Graded with the winner getting a free entry into the Scottish.

After the Commonwealth I'll start looking for a venue for the West

Cheers

Andy
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Keith/Andy

I think these type of things need a central venue like the SNCL, which sounds like the way you are thinking for the West Andy, or a regionalised type approach.

The MacIsaac is clearly in need of a revamp (appreciate Keith is well aware of this and working hard on these types of issues). Can the MacIsaac not just be replaced with the East/West? It seems to me, the two events are not really much of an event at all, and are actualy trying to do the same thing.

It would basicaly be the same thing for both events if merged - an East event, and a West event, with the 2 winners meeting up, making a national champion (or MacIsaac) champion.

So you get an East champion, a West champion and an overall champion. Have the regionalised East & West games in a SNCL format at central venues. The uncertaintity of dates and location seems to be the main issue putting players off the MacIsaac.

Thats my idea. I hope it wouldn't be seen to tarnish the history or name of the 'MacIsaac'. Definetly not the intention.
I thought two aims of the MacIsaac were to:
1) Encourage clubs to hold club championships; and
2) Encourage the "top" players to take part in club championships.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
I acknowledge your points Alan, fair comments. My club doesn't have a championship and I have proposed we have one this season and am using the MacIsaac qualification for the winner to make it all sound grandeur.

The only problem is, no one will from our club will play in the MacIsaac due to the uncertaintity of location/dates which I mentioned before. I believe the key issue to promote the interest is the central venue idea which I mentioned. I could well be wrong on that, this is just a personal observation and opinion.
I'm quite sure the SNCL venue would be delighted to extend their commitment into an East of Scotland tournament.

Let me know if you want me to do anything about it!!

GG
That sounds like a great idea Glynis. If I'm in the country (I.e. Not at euro club cup etc) then I'll be playing (not a promise!).
Glynis

Apologies for the delay responding, I've been on holiday. I'll PM you shortly.

Keith