Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney 2013
Agreed Derek. No juniors would be allowed to be in the sweepstake or to contribute in any way.
Basic plan at the moment.....

1/ Take on board everyone's opinions
2/ Draw up a draft proposal and ask Andy Howie to appoint an appropriate person to double check everything is 100% legal (and morally ok?)
3/ If gets go ahead check with David Congalton the best way to organise, administer and audit the sweepstake.
I REALLY don't like this idea in any way, shape or form. Personally, I will have nothing to do with it.

I don't like this topic being in a thread about the Glorney either.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Ok David, plan was to listen to opinions and as I respect yours very much, plan binned.

Apologies it was on the Glorney thread, it just happened by reading it that the idea came to me.

In case there is any misunderstanding from members, David and I have been friends for about thirty years. We both are passionate about chess in Scotland and constantly try to think of ideas, some of them turn out good, some like this one, not so good.
robin moore Wrote:Basic plan at the moment.....

1/ Take on board everyone's opinions
2/ Draw up a draft proposal and ask Andy Howie to appoint an appropriate person to double check everything is 100% legal (and morally ok?)
3/ If gets go ahead check with David Congalton the best way to organise, administer and audit the sweepstake.

Saved me asking the question What happens if I don't agree with this...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Apologies Andy, it was a bad idea. However, please don't anyone feel discouraged from trying to think of any better ones. These are tough times financially and any input (no matter how nuts it may sound!) is welcome.

Ps Could you move this section of the thread to a more appropriate separate topic please.

Thank you

Robin
Probably the best idea would be to remove the entire section on gambling.

As soon as it is possible to wager on an event there is the possibility, no, near certainty, of someone being tempted to manipulate results. Whether this is throwing their own games or intimidating others to throw theirs, it is something chess can do without.
The downfall of Stephen Lee seems all too stark a reminder of the pitfalls due to gambling.
Just heard that Ian Black has taken a sudden interest in chess!