Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney 2013
Andy Muir wrote
Quote:Therefore I may appear "drunk".

is this an attempt at an apology? No one is suggesting you were drunk, so if you were (or not) make this clear. Also if if you are actually apologising, again, make it clear. Given you are a director of CS and a respected member of the chess community it may be a good idea?
amuir Wrote:I was given a noticeboard ban when all my posts were delayed by about 12 hours. This ban has now been lifted. My last post on july 27 was actually made on july 26 during this ban. Therefore I may appear "drunk".
Best is for people to have a chat with me about issues at the AGM.

You p### everyone off and this is your response? :\

I don't know why anyone would particularly want to discuss issues with you at the AGM Andy - your views and comments are almost entirely random, ill-thought out and (bordering) on the offensive.

If, however, you have a 'medical' explanation for your behaviour (e.g. Aspergers or some other Autistic Spectrum disorder, etc) then it would be useful to know - some leeway could be given. A good friend of mine has Aspergers and has terrible communication skills/no idea he is being rude/etc.
A few comments are needed here about Aspergers Syndrome.

Junior chess seems to attract a greater concentration of Asperger syndrome diagnosed children than would be expected statistically. Those children get benefit from operating in an environment where the rules are clearly laid down and followed - if need be with the help of the arbiter.

Often chess,(this wonderful game we play,this all inclusive game as so many rightly claim) allows such children better and more meaningful social interaction than they get in their schools. Asperger children have great difficulty coping with people who talk in riddles or simply do not express themselves clearly.

The best short summary I can give is that Aspergers syndrome is a label applied to those children at the high intelligence end of those children having some Autism symptoms. As children with Asperger syndrome progress through their teenage years they tend to become more and more mainstream as their class mates mature.

The key thing to remember about Asperger syndrome brains is that they are not broken. Instead they are wired up differently to most. For better understanding of the condition my suggested reading is either the original papers by Asperger- or summaries thereof or for a highly acclaimed published novel read “The curious incident of the dog in the night-time” by Mark Haddon
Patrick, Andy B, Alex

If you can't make AGM, care to discuss this by phone rather than the noticeboard/email ?
amuir Wrote:Patrick, Andy B, Alex

If you can't make AGM, care to discuss this by phone rather than the noticeboard/email ?

Not particularly Andy - I just wish you would consider other people's feelings/other people's views/your own responsibilities/ etc before posting the things you do. You wouldn't play a chess game without analysing possibilities and consequences would you?
The Glorney report has been uploaded to the news section of the CS home page. Ken Stewart has kindly alerted me to the following -

Quote:Don't know if you've noticed the typo under Declan Shafi. Report says "selfishness" when it should clearly be "selflessness".

I certainly meant selflessness and apologise to Declan if he has already read the report. I understand that after a visit to some science thing in Cardiff he is now aware that he can move things with his mind. So if I get hit on the head by a random flying book or an assortment of crockery, I will know why.

I have asked for a revised version to be uploaded with the correction.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
amuir Wrote:The truth: Scotland were last in the Glorney and Gilbert tournaments by a distance

Moderated myth by Scottish delusionists: Scotland won the Glorney and Gilbert tournaments comfortably as usual

Andy, your missing the point. The reason why people react to your post is that some kids lack confidence and some of them will already feel bad that they did not score more than they did for the team. I wasn't just saying it for the sake of it- the players all showed great potential and the score did not reflect how close some matches were- the Robinson team should have one at least two more matches.

Another illustration of the lack of respect for juniors was when I played you as up and coming junior over 25 years ago -(game 1 below) I'm thick skinned and water of a duck back to me- I don't know any player who would dream of doing that against Murad or Kai etc - apart from that they would convert the white advantage.

It took 25 years for over the board revenge and the time that passed made it ever more sweet. Ironically I know you will actually appreciate the games =)

Gillies Aged 15 – Muir (1-0) Approx 1986 grading diff approx 450 [pgn]1.d4 e6 2.c4 Qe7 3.Nc3 Kd8 4.Nf3 Qe- black later won[/pgn]

Gillies – Muir (1-0) June 2013 – Stewarton Allegro [pgn].d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 e6 4.Bg2 Be7 5.0-0 0-0 6.c4 dxc4 7.Ne5 Nc6 8.Bxc6 bxc6 9.Nxc6 Qe8 10.Ne5 Bb7 11.Qc2 c5 12.Rd1 Rc8 13.Nc3 cxd4 14.Rxd4 Bc5 15.Rh4 h6 16.Bxh6 gxh6 17.Qd2 Be4 18.Nxe4 Bxf2+ 19.Kf1 Nxe4 - black resigns[/pgn]

With your experience you should be giving some more back to the game - as I recall apart from being a really good player your playing style and technique lends itself to being passed over to juniors.

Whilst on subject I take my hat of to Mathew Turner - so refreshing to see a coach engaging with juniors in a witty, fun and instructive way - and also to Heather for putting in a power of prep work with the girls and boys - several games came up over the board giving winning advantages - one the Cambridge springs trap black winning a piece in around 6 moves
Alex
Thanks for your post:
I coached the Glorney team recently so I am not a complete baddy. I don't get much involved with juniors as it is fraught with problems.
In the 1970s the Glorney team was often the top 5 rated players, not now sadly
In our game in 1986 I played the Moultrie Defense but I can't remember the result. Good that you remembered it. George Moultrie used it successfully so I tried it. I had completely forgotten about this and I might play it again now.
You deservedly thrashed me at Stewarton.
One position I came across I thought was interesting : something like this

[pos]r3r1k1/p1p2p1p/2P2b2/2b2N1P/2B2n1p/2p2B2/P1P2P1P/R3R1K1 w - -
wKg1,Nf5,Bc4,f3,Ra1,e1,Pa2,c2,c6,f2,h2,h5/bKg8,Nf4,Bc5,f6,Ra8,e8,Pa7,c3,c7,f7,h4,h7[/pos]

This was Young Sam Harper in the Stokes - he eventually lost but this position went on for a while and I had a sore head looking at it

Sam is now affectionately known as symmetrical Sam Big Grin
Quote:I don't get much involved with juniors as it is fraught with problems.

really? Big Grin given the extreme criticism that is still continuing it is a wonder that juniors have any adults working with them at all.

“To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.” (Anon)

will we end up with this? where we are so frightened/bullied/angry that we cannot nuture and encourage our juniors in this beautiful game.

Time I feel for more shut-up and more put-up.

finally; “If you want to make your dreams come true, the first thing you have to do is wake up.”
(JM Power).

we need to waken up! we have so much talent, goodwill and support we can have a far superior situation than we currently have. failure to "waken" up may result in no emerging juniors in the scottish scene.

p.s.
Andy (Muir) I dont feel we have anything to discuss, however you have some discussion (explanation?) to do. good luck, i still stand by my comment that you are a respected member of the chess community and hope that you remain so.
Pat.