Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Youth Maribor Slovenia
Folks,

Latest update. The final list of participants is now up. We are all there ok!
On first inspection Jamie Underwood has avoided the bye in round 1 in the U14. There are an even number of players at the moment in his section although obviously no-one can guarantee it will stay that way.
Murad looks as though he will be on board 1, almost certainly on a live board against the top seed, a boy from America as it stands right now, which will be great not only for him and ourselves but everyone back home. I make it 195 in his section, bottom guy drops out so it's 1 to 97 v 98 to 194. Murad is 98.

Robin
Quote:which will be great not only for him and ourselves but

... very bad news for the boy from America!
Mike Scott Wrote:
Quote:which will be great not only for him and ourselves but

... very bad news for the boy from America!

For sure. Murad has the weapons to take out almost anyone at the moment if he plays well. However, I'm sure the young American will be a very tough opponent so it should be a good game.
Mr Chandler is going to love this one.
Instead of a Scottish flag they have put a wee image of the ChessScotland Lewis chessman for each of our players in the participants list!
I have informed them of the error but wonder if I should have.

Robin.
Maybe I am just being grumpy because I am in the middle of packing to go to Slovenia Sad but .............I am not too chuffed about the organisers getting the Scotland flag wrong :\
There's a long and venerable history of organisers managing to mess this sort of thing up. Daniel McGowan's been known as 'Cogan' ever since his surname was somehow transcribed as that for the first round draw about twelve years ago. The flag is a new one, as far as I know. Wonder how they managed that?
It looks identical to the CS logo used in documents as a a header
Jacqui Thomas Wrote:It looks identical to the CS logo used in documents as a a header

Correct. They have just used the Scotland logo shown on the FIDE website.

They have also used the logos for a few other countries, eg Tunisia and Chinese Taipei.
Well at least they haven't used the Union flag. Big Grin
Folks,

We are travelling in three groups to this one, the one I am in arrived safely in the early hours this morning, group two to follow this afternoon and group three in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
The setting here is simply stunning. From my hotel room balcony I am looking at the finishing hill and line of the downhill skiing. The hotel seems nice but a few parents are going to ask for a nicer room if this is possible.
Our hotel is within ten minutes walk of the two hotels they are using as playing venues so heading off shortly to check them out.
The organisers are providing us with free bus and cable car passes to the main town from our mountain base which is very helpful.
At the moment there are plenty of good quiet nooks and crannies for prep and analysis purposes but may become scarcer as some bigger squads arrive, England in particular who are sharing our hotel. Hope to speak to their Head of Delegation so we can sort something out of mutual benefit for the duration.
Anyway, off on a stroll to check out playing venues.

Robin.