Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcohol in Chess Clubs
Cumbernauld chess club have moved into new premises which include a bar.
We would be interested to hear the views of other chess players on the availability of alcohol at chess clubs.Particularly clubs which already have bar facilities.
We are unsure whether we should allow alcohol on "Match Nights"
All thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.
P.S. Andrew, if you wish to add a poll to this subject you are welcome to do so.
Prestwick have had bar facilities since we moved to the local RAFA club three seasons ago. We don't have any club rules apart from the RAFA's own which is no under 18's at the bar. There is however an Ayrshire League rule which bans any alcholic drinks at the board when playing a junior. No complaints have been made in that time, in fact I am sure some players have been quite happy seeing our players sipping away in anticipation of an alcohol induced blunder!
At the Badgers Brook we have a bar. It seems to be quite popular with some players, but most of the guys who come along are driving, so don't usually drink.

I don't see the problem with having alcohol on match nights. I don't even see the problem with having a drink when playing a junior, as long as it's moderate and you don't start to get drunk. The juniors need to learn at some stage that alcohol is a part of life, and when consumed moderately and responsibly, can be enjoyed without turning ugly.
At the Scarborough Congress last year, in the first round on the Friday night, the bar at the end of the Ocean Room was open. My opponent supped his way through two pints of bitter during our game; it must have worked as he put me away quite quickly and neatly.

In moderation, I don't see it as an issue. Players shouldn't sit and get drunk in front of juniors however, there should be some responsibility with having a beer at the board.
At the Working Mans social club in Glenrothes there is a bar and very popular it is with those who do not play chess. The bar seems more popular with the players from other clubs in the TAFCA league than with the home players and I have never had a drink in Glenrothes but when I go to Dundee or Perth, I like a wee nip. It feels more of a night out with the lads when playing away that staring at the same ugly mugs at home games.
Bagpipes are a serious issue at our club... this should be outlawed
Thanks Guys, any thoughts from the arbiters on this issue??
What do F-I-D-E say, does anyone know??
I'm tea total so I'm not asking for myself,I'm mainly asking on behalf of visiting teams.
Fide probably think they should get £x for every unit you drink to compensate them for the innacuracies resulting from you making a drunken blunder. Wouldn't surprise me with some of the other stuff they are coming out with these days. =)
George Thomson Wrote:Thanks Guys, any thoughts from the arbiters on this issue??
What do F-I-D-E say, does anyone know??
I'm tea total so I'm not asking for myself,I'm mainly asking on behalf of visiting teams.

Well taking Oban as an example, we don't have a problem with the players drinking at the board
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I wish I had seen this one earlier but I am a bit busy right now ! Oh, the stories I could tell... (from a past life).
robin moore Wrote:I wish I had seen this one earlier but I am a bit busy right now ! Oh, the stories I could tell... (from a past life).

Michael H could tell a few too that would make your hair curl!!

I think like everything if it is taken in moderation it is fine & even at the board.

PS: I am t-total