Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U16 Olympiad Istanbul
This year we finished 32 Scotland p10 w4 d2 l4 BP17 MP10

Last year we were 12 Scotland p10 w5 d0 l5 BP21 MP10

Only losing 4 matches, I would say that is an improvement. Well done to our 5!!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Well, we drew our last game v South Afrıca B 2-2. Ian was a wee bıt better throughout but wısely agreed a draw as tıme trouble loomed wıth no clear way to make progress. Zak was rock solıd agaın and draw agreed ın totally level posıtıon. Andrew had the advantage throughout agaın when hıs opponent ran out of tıme. Murad was worse all game but nearly came out wıth somethıng ın a mad tıme scramble but just faıled. So we won 4 drew 2 and lost 4 matches. Ian scored 2½\8, Murad 2\8, Andrew 5\8, Danıel 3½\8 and Zak 4\8. We fınıshed 32nd out of 39 teams when seeded 37th. There was no doubt that Ian and Murad were lookıng progressıvely jaded as thıs event contınued thanks to havıng played ın the Euroyouth then come straıght here. Danıel dıd well and could have scored more. Andrew, once he found hıs feet, played very well ındeed. Zak was the surprıse package. He dıd ever so well,tryıng hıs very best every sıngle game and lıstenıng and workıng ıntently wıth Clement to achıeve hıs thoroughly deserved total.

Robın.
I think this tournament is one that we should be attending regularly!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I would just like to say well done to all of the boys who played in this tournament =)

I have been speaking to Andrew who told me that the heat was difficult to bear, the accomodation was poor and the food wasn't great either. Taking that into account, and also the fact that the other countries put a lot more money and time into chess than we are able to do, then the boys have done a fantastic job!!!!

Andy Howie Wrote:I think this tournament is one that we should be attending regularly!

It seems to have been a great experience for the boys Andy. Andrew has told me all about the top chess players that he has seen over the last 10 days. Also the captain of the Pakistan men's team played the boys - and crushed them all apparently :U
Quote:and also the fact that the other countries put a lot more money and time into chess than we are able to do, then the boys have done a fantastic job!!!!"

good point Linda, it highlights one of the root problems in junior chess but also very important to praise the boys who tried their guts out and performed admirably.
Any news on why games points were used when the published regulation says match points.