Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct support for The Scotland Junior International Squad
David,

It's still my intention to approach my MSP and MP with a detailed presentation with information off the internet, the size and role of Chess and photographs of our wonderful junior Chess players.

I do feel a bit beaten down by comments here which havnt' been supportive of the talent of our youngsters but I'm thicker skinned and nasty enough not to let that deflect me.

Your ideas are though refreshing and putting a team of people together to deal with fundraising matters would be a step forward. I'd strongly suggest involving the parents in this. They are the ones that understand the expense of ensuring the talented youngsters get to the events which are clearly the 'Pinnacle' of Junior achievement. They also should not be deflected to focus on other less significant events.
A reflection as to why people might wish that to happen may be useful at this stage? On the other hand probably much better to focus on obtaining funding and if you do take charge of this venture you will have my 100% support.

rgds,
Angus
Quote:I do feel a bit beaten down by comments here which havnt' been supportive of the talent of our youngsters but I'm thicker skinned and nasty enough not to let that deflect me.

Nobody in this thread, so far as I can see, has said anything that isn't supportive of the talent of our youngsters. Some people have different views as to how best to foster this talent. The fact that they disagree with each other is immaterial to this. Indeed, it's healthy - debate is better than an echo chamber.

I disagree with some of your opinions, as I do with some of the opinions of almost everyone else on this board about one thing or another, but I have no doubt whatsoever as to your commitment to achieving the best outcome for Scottish juniors, nor would I attempt to argue or imply that you are motivated by anything other than the desire to improve chess in Scotland. Please extend others the same courtesy: ultimately, we really are all on the same side.
Hugh,

I stated what I did because there were comments which were clearly not courtious to the Scottish Juniors going to the Euroyouth. Yes it's an opinion. It's an opinion I don't agree with. You'd be better served to argue with their discourtious suggestions. You are Head of Delegation!!!

Or like Alan do you think that suggesting Ian and the other 16 year old is not good enough at under 2100 grade? is acceptable?
Hugh,

Perhaps you can explain how this comment which was contained within a post that Alan and Robin agreed with is supportive of the Juniors going to the Euroyouth.

by Patrick McGovern » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:23 pm

For example if you are 16 and in the boys section, your grade should be say at least CS live grade 2100 level otherwise you are not going to achieve any success in the euro's or worlds

I agree with this.

Why are you suggesting it's discourtious of me to pick up on this? I'm actually less annoyed with the people who suggested this than those who didnt' pick it up!!!! The 2 older players who suggested this clearly arn't that familiar with junior Chess and the massive effort our juniors are putting in. The Organiser, Coach and Head of Delegation should be!!!

Can any of you say anything supportive of the 2 16 year olds going who are being told that they are not going to achieve any success in the Euros?

Others have chosen to undermine the significance of these events suggesting they arn't worthy events and money should be directed elsewhere.

These events are the 'pinnacle' events for young juniors to aspire to play in. That's certainly how I will presenting the issue for fundraising.

That, Hugh, is what I was referring to. I though it was obvious.
More than likely I'm now going to be reprimanded by the Head of Delegation again for sticking up for the significance of the events and for putting the record straight.

I shouldn't be surprised. This is an upside down World!!
I can see where you're coming from with this point, but I don't think it's representative of the thread as a whole at all. Most of Pat's post was focused on talking about the Slovak coaching system. The quote from Jamie's post, with which he was agreeing, was part of a very long post which discussed multiple aspects of junior chess. I thought a lot of what he was saying was interesting, but I don't agree with the part highlighted. That doesn't mean that his post wasn't worth making. As I say, debate and discussion is good, as long as we keep it away from the personal.

I also said earlier that, while I've said on a number of occasions that the concept of rating guidelines are something I'm interested in, I agree with you absolutely that a 2100 limit for under-16 level would be far too high. I'm very optimistic that everyone we are sending to this section - and to the others - can do very well. (It's worth noting that we have three players in the U16 section: Ian McDonald, Nihad Abdullazada and Carl Milton.)

Everybody, myself most certainly included, is very much supportive of the squad we're going to be fielding in Prague. I'm convinced that they will all benefit from it, and I'm looking forward to doing my best to ensure that I help with that. I don't believe I've been discourteous to the juniors, nor do I believe that that has been the intention of Alan or anyone else.
And I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to reprimand you, and I can see how it comes across that way. I just want an atmosphere where people can outline their views and have a useful debate about how to further junior chess - again, the thing we all want - without rancour.
Hugh,

Thank you!

I was trying to be precise. Detail is important. Ian and Nihad are 16 years old and Carl I think is still 14.
All 3 though will play in the under 16 section and I believe in all 3 to do really well. You show them men!!
Angus, I didn't want it to have to come to this but your attacks on my and others' character are beyond ridiculous and are going to stop now. In fact that is the only reason you have got away with so much already. As I already told you in a private email, I agree with rating guidelines IN PRINCIPLE. How many times do you have to be told? Do you even read anything properly or do you just make it up in your head? You keep going on about others not supporting juniors, maybe you should take a look at the effect your own statements and behaviour might have on them.
OK,

Thanks for that Alan.

You'll be happy to know I'm pulling Ian out of the Euroyouth.

You havn't been able to say 1 supportive thing publicly about him in 4 years.