Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney 2012
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.glorneycupchess.org/live.htm">http://www.glorneycupchess.org/live.htm</a><!-- m -->

The Glorney festival starts on Wednesday in Daventry. Above is a link to hopefully quite a few live games during the event, although I can't be certain what sections they will cover. From this link however, it suggests that we will play Wales in all agegroups on the first day. Everyone travelling down tomorrow by bus and train, with GM Matthew Turner and Heather Lang meeting up with the squad at the hotel venue. I wish to express my gratitude to all the coaches and parents who have given their time to help in so many ways. The very best wishes to head of delegation Donald Wilson and the entire squad,

Robin.
I don't think we should read too much into what appears on the Glorney web site: it is normal practice for the draw to be made in the presence of the team managers the evening before rounds 1 & 2; and it is also the practice for the top two sides from the prevous year to meet in round 6 in each competition. So if England and Ireland are to meet in round 6 of the Glorney, it is unlikely that they will meet in round 1 - round 3 is more likely.

In the Faber, it's Scotland and England who should meet in round 6 - so in that tournament (alone) there's a 50/50 chance of meeting Wales in round 1; but meeting Ireland is equally likely.

I suppose it's possible that the rules have been changed (or ignored) without consultation with Scotland, but it's more likely that the web page has simply been set up with a dummy pairing which will be changed when the real draw has been made.
Good luck to everyone. Some good recent performances from the players, not to mention during the year, should allow our guys to leave their mark!
Donald Wilson Wrote:I don't think we should read too much into what appears on the Glorney web site: it is normal practice for the draw to be made in the presence of the team managers the evening before rounds 1 & 2; and it is also the practice for the top two sides from the prevous year to meet in round 6 in each competition. So if England and Ireland are to meet in round 6 of the Glorney, it is unlikely that they will meet in round 1 - round 3 is more likely.

In the Faber, it's Scotland and England who should meet in round 6 - so in that tournament (alone) there's a 50/50 chance of meeting Wales in round 1; but meeting Ireland is equally likely.

I suppose it's possible that the rules have been changed (or ignored) without consultation with Scotland, but it's more likely that the web page has simply been set up with a dummy pairing which will be changed when the real draw has been made.

Correct Donald. The web site is like that is so I have enough of a template to make life easier for me when I am down there.

Regarding the live games. Hopefully the equipment from the ECF Counties Championship final, held a couple of weeks ago, be there waiting for me. I hope to show all the Glorney matches. Hopefully starting on round 1 if I can get enough set up time on Tuesday.

See you soon.

David
David,

When you say all the matches, do you mean all the U12 and U14 boards too, as well as the Glorney and Faber/Gilbert?

Robin.
Robin,

You saw the effort it took to get 16 boards going at the Scottish...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
will be interesting to see if the Faber Cup (Jessie Gilbert Cup) turns up to be presented this year. Our girls won it in Dublin but England didnt know where it was at the time although they had won it the previous year!!!!!!
robin moore Wrote:David,

When you say all the matches, do you mean all the U12 and U14 boards too, as well as the Glorney and Faber/Gilbert?

Robin.

Robin

Just the Glorney matches. Two matches of five boards each. I am hoping to have 10 sensory boards available.

The Gilbert/Robinson/Stokes matches will not be live.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

David
David,

That will be great to see those games live. Thank you very much for your help for this great event,

Robin.
Donald Wilson Wrote:I don't think we should read too much into what appears on the Glorney web site: it is normal practice for the draw to be made in the presence of the team managers the evening before rounds 1 & 2; and it is also the practice for the top two sides from the prevous year to meet in round 6 in each competition. So if England and Ireland are to meet in round 6 of the Glorney, it is unlikely that they will meet in round 1 - round 3 is more likely.

Donald,

As you say the Captains meeting last year followed the precedent that the top two teams from the previous year were to play in round 6.Which for the 2012 competition means Ireland and England. For simplicity the pairings in the other 3 events followed the Glorney pairings except that the Irish filler team in the Faber was not allowed to play Ireland A in the Final round. In 2012 the team with white on top board in the Glorney had Black on top board in the Faber and I recall that for each country Board 1 in U14 and U12 always had same colour pieces as the Glorney board 1.

At the captains meeting there was a desire to give each player one black game and one white game on each playing day. I'm not sure how that was tackled/ resolved. Peter Purland should remember the 2012 resolution which seemed at the time to be optimal.