Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Coach wanted
Would anyone be interested in coaching the chess club at Jordanhill School Primary Department (in the West End of Glasgow)? I retired from this at the end of last session, having run it for about 15 years, and sadly, the management have failed to keep it going this term.
I recently received an email from a parent stating:
"I have spoken with other parents and we are keen to keep the club going. I feel I can build a pool of parents who will supervise and manage the kids but what we lack is chess expertise. Would it be a viable option to seek a local chess coach? ... Do you know of anyone we could approach?"
You would not need to be an expert or a registered coach (I am neither), all that is required is enthusiasm, a good understanding of the game, and the ability to teach the children to play by the rules.
In recent years the club has met on Mondays from 3.30 to 4.30pm due to the availability of a suitable room at that time, but I have previously run sessions at the same time on other days and sometimes at lunchtimes also. I think the timing would be negotiable. There would be some remuneration - again negotiable: charging the children would be a new approach as the club has previously been completely free, with equipment and occasional expenses paid for by the school.
I would be happy to provide further information if anyone has any questions. Either post a reply here or send me a private message.
Judith, your commitment to Chess is great! =) I hope you find someone who is willing to take this on. Big Grin
Hi Judith,
I have started chess coaching in Hillhead High School this autumn and want to extend my coaching in schools around the west end of Glasgow. I have also booked St Silas Church, 69 Park Road Glasgow G4 9JE on 7th October from 2-5pm for the purposes of learning to play and playing chess. The afternoon will feature tuition on all the stages of the game. Presentations of the greatest historical games with background information and profiles of the players involved. This project has the backing of John McIntyre, a few other members and the general support of Phones Chess Club. I welcome all responses and further ideas for coaching or the planned chess afternoon.
Thank you Colin Paterson.
Hi Judith,
e-mail address <!-- e --><a href="mailto:colin.c.paterson@gmail.com">colin.c.paterson@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->
Thank you Colin Paterson.
Hi Judith (and Colin Paterson too), I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of coaching, because (basically) I'd make a terrible teacher- of anything. However, what I am trying to do at Paisley Chess Club is build up a network of junior groups in the Glasgow/Paisley area to give the kids the chance to play other kids their own age, even if only occasionally. Once things are up and running, we could arrange a friendly match between Paisley's Juniors and your school, either at Paisley or Phones club. Kids are more likely to maintain an interest in chess (or anything else) if they have a bit of variety. Plus, if any of the kids are keen enough to play outside the school, they are aware of where clubs are.
My e-mail address is camacgregor at hotmail dot co dot uk.

Best wishes, and good luck
Colin Macgregor