Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glasgow League radius reduction
Alan Jelfs Wrote:As far as I can tell, Dumbarton (and therefore the Concord club) is the only venue further from Glasgow centre than Cumbernauld.
Yes I believe these are the two furthest venues.
Alan Jelfs Wrote:Yet Cumbernauld play in the Dunbartonshire league! (So do East Kilbride, which is certainly stretching the laws of geography).
At least Cumbernauld used to be in Dunbartonshire prior the formation of Strathclyde Region!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#fromNode=18260005037423%7CG1%203AJ,%20Glasgow%7CSTREET%7C259115%7C665235%7CtoNode=18260005048218%7CG82%201LJ,%20Dumbarton%7CSTREET%7C239625%7C675271">http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/inde ... 5%7C675271</a><!-- m -->

I looked up the AA Route planner above

From Exchange Square G1 3AJ Glasgow to the Concord Centre G82 1LJ Dumbarton is 20.1 miles and
27 minutes so I would only vote for a radius of 21 miles or above or a journey time of 27 minutes or above or to include a G82 postcode
amuir Wrote:I looked up the AA Route planner above

From Exchange Square G1 3AJ Glasgow to the Concord Centre G82 1LJ Dumbarton is 20.1 miles and
27 minutes so I would only vote for a radius of 21 miles or above or a journey time of 27 minutes or above or to include a G82 postcode

A route planner distance is not the same as the straight line distance.
The "as the crow files" distance to the Concord venue is about 13.5 miles.

Note that we have suggested three options only one of which we would like to be adopted.

They are
(a) Use driving times from George Square
(b) Use postcodes
© Use the straight line distance from Exchange Square

We have given suggested limits for each of the above, but these are of course up for debate at the AGM.
The rules as they stand currently exclude the venues used by Concord and Cumbernauld.
Admitedly the existing rule has probably been in place for decades and nobody has ever complained but it's still something we feel should be updated.

It's good that you have the interests of Concod Chess Club at heart despite deciding to travel all the way to Hamilton! Tongue
Whatever encourages more people to play should be the preferred option. Any rule which promotes decline is surely bad and should be ignored or changed. Sad but true all chess clubs need each other to a degree and should be working together in order to ensure GROWTH rather than DECLINE.Why is this being reviewed anyway? Is someone trying to feel important or something? :\
I do not remember any discussion within Cumbernauld Chess Club to raise these issues on "our behalf". So I'm not sure that we would all agree with these proposals. However I'm ever so slightly DEAF so may have missed something somewhere Big Grin Big Grin
George Thomson Wrote:I do not remember any discussion within Cumbernauld Chess Club to raise these issues on "our behalf". So I'm not sure that we would all agree with these proposals.
And why exactly wouldn't Cumbernauld members have agreed with a motion to a change a rule which as stated at the time meant their venue fell outside the GCL radius limit?

For the record it was agreed at the GCL AGM to increase the radius to 15 miles which brought both Cumbernauld and Concord into the geographical criteria set in the league rules.