Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glasgow League radius reduction
There are proposals at the GL AGM to reduce the number of clubs. I would like to know which clubs would be removed under these rules. I believe Hamilton, Dumbarton & East Kilbride to be at risk.

RESOLUTION 1A: Proposed by Cumbernauld Chess Club
11 Venues and Dates for matches
Change 11.1 to read:
All clubs should play League matches at a suitable venue within a 25 minute drive
(as defined by Google maps) of George Square in Glasgow unless the home team can
obtain agreement from visiting clubs. Such visiting clubs, declining to play due to the
excessive driving time or at an unsuitable venue must do so at the League Fixture Meeting.

RESOLUTION 1B: Proposed by Cumbernauld Chess Club
Change 11.1 to read:
All clubs should play League matches at a suitable venue within the postcode areas
G1-G62 , G64-G82 or PA1-P10 unless the home team can obtain agreement from
visiting clubs. Such visiting clubs, declining to play due to the location or unsuitability of
a venue must do so at the League Fixture Meeting.

RESOLUTION 1C: Proposed by Cumbernauld Chess Club
Change 11.1 to read:
All clubs should play League matches at a suitable venue within 12 miles radius of
Exchange Square in Glasgow unless the home team can obtain agreement from
visiting clubs. Such visiting clubs, declining to play outside the 12 mile radius or at an
unsuitable venue must do so at the League Fixture Meeting.
I don't play Glasgow League chess so its not really for me to judge this proposal as I'm not aware of all the facts.

However, for information: In the Ayrshire League I believe the two furthest apart clubs would be Girvan & Largs (53.2 miles apart and a 1hr 15 min drive according to the AA). These clubs are yet to meet in the league. =o
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Do Cumbernauld themselves not fall foul of 1C?
amuir Wrote:There are proposals at the GL AGM to reduce the number of clubs. I would like to know which clubs would be removed under these rules. I believe Hamilton, Dumbarton & East Kilbride to be at risk.

The current rules state that the radius from Exchange Square be within 10miles. Note that the change suggested by option 1C means altering this to 12 miles so I'm not quite sure where you are getting "radius reduction" from.

However since we are not crows I see little point in using straight line distances.

I'm pretty sure all existing venues are within a 25 min drive from George Square as suggested by option 1A.

I'll have to admit I forgot about the Motherwell postcode in option 1A, and so in hindsight I should have also included ML1-ML6.
Derek Howie Wrote:Do Cumbernauld themselves not fall foul of 1C?

No, we are about 11.6 miles and so fall outside the existing rule boundary.

It just seems daft to us that this is the case despite being under a 20min drive from
the city centre or 12 min journey by train to Croy.
Current eligibility rule is "in or near Glasgow".
Assume this has been around for a few years?

The proposed change would remove the "or near" criterion.

What is driving this proposal for change by Cumbernauld? Travel difficulties for away matches?

In terms of distance (quick search for couple of clubs, crow flies)

Approx 8 miles Glasgow centre to Bothwell centre.(11 miles Glasgow centre to Hamilton centre)
Approx 13 miles Glasgow to East Kilbride.
PatCoffey Wrote:Current eligibility rule is "in or near Glasgow".
Assume this has been around for a few years?

The proposed change would remove the "or near" criterion.

What is driving this proposal for change by Cumbernauld? Travel difficulties for away matches?
The current elligibility rule is identical to the one stated in 1C above except it is set at 10 miles. There is no "or near" criterion, or if there is I've not been able to find it anyway.
PatCoffey Wrote:In terms of distance (quick search for couple of clubs, crow flies)

Approx 8 miles Glasgow centre to Bothwell centre.(11 miles Glasgow centre to Hamilton centre)
Approx 13 miles Glasgow to East Kilbride.
As the crow files the Murray Owen Centre in EK is actually under 9 miles from Glasgow.
Dumbarton are 14 miles from Glasgow so are scuppered.
None of the current teams should be excluded.
We used to have 6 divisions - now it is only 3.
I shall be voting against this proposal
amuir Wrote:Dumbarton are 14 miles from Glasgow so are scuppered.
None of the current teams should be excluded.
We used to have 6 divisions - now it is only 3.
I shall be voting against this proposal

Then Dumbarton is scuppered by the rule that exists at the moment as it is more than 10 miles!

All of the suggested rule change options increase the area of elligibility.
Also is G82 not Dumbarton?

With regard the post code option I'd have no problem with PA11-PA16 to be included which would mean Inverclyde would no longer need to play in Paisley. The new M74 motorway makes it much more accessible.
As far as I can tell, Dumbarton (and therefore the Concord club) is the only venue further from Glasgow centre than Cumbernauld.
Yet Cumbernauld play in the Dunbartonshire league! (So do East Kilbride, which is certainly stretching the laws of geography).
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine