Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Schools - Last 8 :-)
Hi
Gillespies quarter final opponents will be Manchester Grammer - the team we lost to last year and who went on to win the event.

Last year we proved to be their toughest opponents and the match was a narrow 3.5 - 2.5 result in the favor. Sadly thats the good news. The bad news is that they have the same pool of players as last year plus two brothers from Singapore - a 13 year old rated 1800 for their bottom board and a 17 year old IM rated 2341 for their top board! :-(

I guess the final victory will taste all the sweeter!

It is a different world however for most of the schools that are left as most, if not all, are independents and offer chess scholarships. Not sure if the offer of a bottle of Iron Bru and a fish supper can quite compete but the offer is there to any Scottish junior that is an IM and wishes to join the newly started JG Out Reach program.
A 2341 grader is not unbeatable though. Stay positive! Big Grin
Mike,

There is a young boy from Aberdeen that looks as though he may already be open class but I'm afraid he is still at primary school.
One reason for highlighting Gillespies results - other than giving the players their due - is to give some publicity to this event. I know that raising a team of six is a struggle for most secondary schools, but if there is a school out there with players coming through - give it thought.
Mike,

This is a great event and great credit must go to all involved. The name of the event and possibly the format has changed over the years but I know that Greenwood Academy and Paisley Grammar have done very well in this event admittedly some time ago now. If you have enthusiastic teachers and an equally enthusiastic parent teachers association coupled with good organisation anything is possible.
Gillespies vs Manchester Grammer is scheduled for tomorrow pm (FRIDAY 20TH) and will be played in Austin Friars school (who have kindly provide room free of charge).

Manchester Grammar School A
IM Dan Fernandez 230
Jamie Horton 177
Tom Clements 170
Andrew Horton 167
Dan Lea 158
Michael Fernandez 158

Gillespies
Jonny Scott 163
Shivan Murdochy c162
Sam Gregory 146
Jamie Underwood c84
Captiva Mills c47
Rishi Pandya c43
(the 'c' grades is the grade derived by the ECF formula)
Good luck to all in the Gillespies Team - we are all rooting for you =)
Thanks Linda!

Quote:but I know that Greenwood Academy and Paisley Grammar have done very well in this event admittedly some time ago now

Greenwood are still regulars in this events.
First result:
Rishi lost.

Early days in other games.
Final score 5-1 to Manchester Sad
Sam got good win