Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting back to normal
COVID infection levels in Scotland are heading towards zero, businesses are reopening, flights are flying and schools will return to the classroom in August. As this happens in the wider community, I wonder how CS plans to get back to normal? For example, will we finish the 2019/20 Richardson Cup and SNCL events in the Autumn and are event organisers hoping to run 2020/21 events following the traditional calendar? 

On a related matter - I notice Dundee Congress in October has been cancelled. Personally, I was disappointed to see that and was wondering the rational there - still too much uncertainty to allow time for planning maybe?
Hi George,

I cannot answer for Dundee but the events I'm involved with organising before the end of the year are uncertain for a number of reasons.
a) Assuming the venue is open can proper cleaning take place between rounds?
b) What social distancing will apply? Even a one metre space would mean some venues are not financially viable.
c) Will accommodation be available for the players?
d) Will enough players enter?

Taking Scarborough as an example. Even the smallest social distancing figures in use currently anywhere would half the entry. That would mean a four figure loss.
Assuming the venue will allow normal entry numbers, how many will actually turn up? Many players are in the vulnerable category. Even those that aren't may struggle to find hotel/B&B accommodation.
Another factor is the venue. Some are now looking for confirmation of provisional bookings. Are organisers willing to commit to that expense without being certain. The easier/safer option is to pull the plug.

Scarborough is monitoring the situation on a day to day basis. We still hope it will happen!
(04-07-2020, 08:36 AM)George Neave Wrote: COVID infection levels in Scotland are heading towards zero, businesses are reopening, flights are flying and schools will return to the classroom in August. As this happens in the wider community, I wonder how CS plans to get back to normal? For example, will we finish the 2019/20 Richardson Cup and SNCL events in the Autumn and are event organisers hoping to run 2020/21 events following the traditional calendar? 

On a related matter - I notice Dundee Congress in October has been cancelled. Personally, I was disappointed to see that and was wondering the rational there - still too much uncertainty to allow time for planning maybe?

George

To quote from the guidelines we have from ECU / FIDE

Masks / Face coverings must be worn at all times
All equipment and tables / chairs must be disinfected between rounds
There must be sufficient ventilation in the room to reduce virus load

That's before you consider the implication of social distancing.  

I suspect it will be into next year before we see tournament chess back.  We may see limited club and league activities but few if any tournaments
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Hi George

1. Spens Cup
Since i was running the Spens as Tournament Director I canvassed the four captains were canvassed and told if even one of the four remaining teams in the Spens wanted the event cancelled , then it would be cancelled. As one of the teams indicated this ( and I also waited to see if there was a massive change ) then the tournament was cancelled. The Campbell Rosebowl was also cancelled at the same time. Captains were informed at the time
2. Richardson Cup
Similarly with the Richardson cup I asked the same question but no captain idicated they wanted the tournament cancelled therefore theoretically the tournament is still running and i will ask the same question again in August once we have a clearer picture

Now a deeply personal opinion and not to be associated with either Home Director or Admin Director policy.

1. I constructed a sneeze guard with room for a chess clock, it works.
For OTB events i believed pieces, boards and clocks should be cleaned before each round and especially at the beginning of a tournaments.
2. Face Masks should be provided either compulsory wearing or optionally
3.Distances between boards must be at least 2m with easy access between boards. Arbiters must wear maskes
4. Hand sanitiser to be offered.
5. As for over the board, the distance between players is already 1m. To me that is acceptable, especially if face masks are worn

As well as OTB events there will be an increase of online events, e'g Scottish Chess Tour, CS online events, and the stuff I am personally doing, including weekly tournaments and a regional online League, which has been set up and ready to implement.

In Summary CS and others have already set up contingencies including helping up online clubs , leagues and tournaments.
Here is what the ECF have put out. Gives you an idea of the problems

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte..._8Twh4Wn6k
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Thanks all for the quick replies. Sounds like congresses are highly unlikely for 2020 (maybe Oban can squeeze in with  fair wind?) Also pleased to hear there is still a chance to finish the Richardson cup. I guess team events with the associated smaller number of players does present far fewer logistical challenges. Let's see how thing go over next few months on that one. Personally, while I do enjoy online chess I find it impossible to take it seriously. It is no substitute for the tension of a tournament hall filled with real people Smile So looking forward to when we can get back to that!
(04-07-2020, 06:50 PM)George Neave Wrote: Thanks all for the quick replies. Sounds like congresses are highly unlikely for 2020 (maybe Oban can squeeze in with  fair wind?) Also pleased to hear there is still a chance to finish the Richardson cup. I guess team events with the associated smaller number of players does present far fewer logistical challenges. Let's see how thing go over next few months on that one. Personally, while I do enjoy online chess I find it impossible to take it seriously. It is no substitute for the tension of a tournament hall filled with real people Smile So looking forward to when we can get back to that!
Hi George, I’ve just seen your post. All the responses above are pertinent to Dundee of course but to answer for ourselves:

• At best we might find space for half the previous numbers, perhaps not even that. There would be cost implications.
  • Congestion in the assembly area (where the Major/Minor pairing sheets & wallcharts are displayed) – there would be no chance of any kind of distancing.
  • We considered that many players have to make advance arrangements for accommodation, time off work, childcare, family arrangements, etc.
  • We were aware that matters could improve in time to stage the congress but ‘informed’ opinions seemed to be that some form of social distancing would be in place until the end of the year.

Given all this we wanted to have some clarity and certainty for those who might consider playing – particularly those who have to plan well ahead. Over cautious perhaps but rather that than risk late cancellation if matters don’t improve quickly enough.
I personally am at a bit of a loss why we cant hold OTB events once we get a strategy of how we do it. I reckon social distancing of 1m combined with available cleaning and sanitisation ( and regrettably face masks ) should help overcome most issues. I see more comfortable face masks are coming out which in the new norm may become necessary anyway so if you want OTB a clear positive attitude will be required anyway. I also notice next years Flu virus (nor covid) could be a bummer as well so face masks could be more prevalent in the years to come. I know FIDE are coming up with possible solutions/recommendations so there's hope there. My big worry are venues, particularly if they are tied up with local authorities, who then decide its not worth the risk. Keith makes a valid point about entry capacity as well, tied in with rising costs etc. Possibly a big hit by reducing prize money may help. Prestige I feel is the big thing but if there are no OTB congresses as such, we will all have to work out how we can overcome this, sneeze guards could also be adapted for those who cant wear them. Temperature scanners (around £80) would be deployed along with the anti-cheating scanners, to weed out at least the sympomatic carriers. This is all about keeping the numbers low, not eliminating the virus which to me has been very successful so far.
We are all doing our best here, the Scottish Chess Tour have been very successful at running online tournaments (and our thanks for the many hours put in already). Perhaps the SCT is the only option we have here, especially for those who need to shield.
George , far as the Richardson cup goes, yes there is still a chance but a slim one. I reckon as Tournament Director if we dont get moving on it by the end of September, then we will need to cancel this years tournament. it would break my heart to cancel it (i've already purchased the keepsake trophies) but it would be crazy to continue in the current climate where people's health of course is paramount. I'm also thinking for next year a central venue may be preferable providing participants would fit into a sanitised venue. As I've said above, i think we are going to find venues more difficult to come by and I feel for Keith and others trying to find them.
Over to the captains of both Richardson and Spens teams for their comments.
Ian,

Only only has to look at the examples of Germany and Spain for a warning of what happens when people congregate too early.

I'd like to think SCT are not the only option as CS are organising tournaments as well :p

On thermal scanners. They are only effective when the person already has symptoms. They are contagious before that and don't have a temperature. Not a bad idea but...

Could the Spens / Richardson not finish online?
On Dundee, thanks Keith. Looking forward to 2021!

On Richardson, honestly, getting 20 people in a room on 3 occasions between now and Xmas does not seem like it a stretch given there is virtually no C19 left in Scotland in July. Let's see where we are in September as you say. It would be good if we could complete this if nothing else. I remain optimistic Smile