Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIDE Elections
Looks like this is going to be a walk over for AD. Writing was on the wall when he had a meltdown over the Kremlin and Zurab insulted the whole African continent.

Nigel withdrawing and endorsing AD is the final nail in the coffin and I will be very surprised if the result is anything other than a resounding win for the challenger.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Final vote 103 for AD 78 for Makro. 1 spoilt paper
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
(03-10-2018, 03:15 PM)Andy Howie Wrote: Final vote 103 for AD 78 for Makro. 1 spoilt paper

For a moment I thought that said "I spoilt paper".. But presumably 'we' voted for Makro.

Maybe in a few years time we will be able to apply (as a third world nation) for some of the 20 million euros Arkady has pledged for chess development.
Just wondering whether in fact CS did vote for Makro as there doesn't seem to have been much if any of a public debate about this (it is possible I just missed it).

I would, however, certainly be interested to know: who CS voted for, why and, most importantly, whether CS considers the outcome to be sufficiently positive for chess to be upbeat about FIDE's future (especially if CS voted for one of the other two candidates).

The defeated Makropolous, with well over 30 years in the Deputy and latterly acting President's role, certainly had plenty of time to put a stamp on FIDE's purpose. It was at the very least arguably high time for a change … have we got a good one (I'm very cautiously optimistic)?

Any thoughts?
FIDE is effectively part of the Russian Foreign Ministry and has been for a long time. I don't find cause to celebrate this.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Just as a matter of interest:

Nigel Short (Twitter)

This morning I was appointed FIDE Vice President. My former deputy, @lukaszturlej joins me on the Presidential Board.
Short thinks that Scotland should not exist as a separate nation in FIDE or FIFA, so what is interesting about him being a FIDE vice president?

As a FIDE Vice President what will he be able to do for British chess, never mind Scottish chess?
Morning, Final session is about to start. Managed to prevent something daft from being passed and we got it reworded to our satisfaction. To answer Craigs question, voted as I was directed by the Management board (which was as you predicted). I had meetings with all three presidential candidates while I was here as we have to get on with them if they are elected. Have to say had I had a free vote, I would have gone with AD. He was head and shoulders above the other two and if he can bring in 1/10th of what he is promising to do, then we are going to see real change.

Alex Holowczak was with me for the first two days of the congress and we remarked on the difference AD (In case you wonder why I keep typing AD, I can't spell his name!) when he was chairing the meeting. Been impressed so far but there is a long way to go!
(05-10-2018, 02:00 AM)Andy McCulloch Wrote: Short thinks that Scotland should not exist as a separate nation in FIDE or FIFA, so what is interesting about him being a FIDE vice president?

As a FIDE Vice President what will he be able to do for British chess, never mind Scottish chess?

A fair bit given I am on good speaking terms with him!
I heard Lukasz Turlej speak at the European Schools Champs in Poland. He seems like a smart cookie and his Chess in Schools work in Poland over the last 10 years was very impressive. Not surprised he has managed to get a position.