Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raymond Baxter
I have received the following from Colin Baxter, son of Raymond Baxter

I am contacting you to let you know that my father, Raymond Baxter, passed away on 11 November at the age of 85.  My father was a leading chess player in Scotland in the 1960s, finishing in the top 3 of the Scottish Championship twice and representing Scotland at the Chess Olympliad in Israel in 1964.

His funeral will be held at Warriston Crematorium, Edinburgh at 12 noon this coming Monday (26th November).   I'm not sure if you have an online notice board or similar to make your members aware so that any current or (more likely) former players who remember my father can perhaps attend.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Very sad to hear about the passing of another old friend and I extend sincerest condolences to his family.
I first met Raymond in 1965 when joining Edinburgh Chess Club (on moving from York) and we played in the Edinburgh Club Championship and for Edinburgh CC teams for 2 years. In the 1970s I remember him arranging accommodation etc. for a Scotland v London Insurance Institute match at Scottish Widows HQ.
Raymond was also keen postal chess player and he served on the Scottish CCA Executive Committee for several decades, before retiring from his position as Ratngs Officer some 10 years ago. He and his dear wife hosted several SCCA meetings at their home and they were always kind and generous. I remember Raymond as a professional gentleman, a willing efficient officer and above all, a kind and friendly person. It is my intention to attend his funeral on Monday along with the Scottish CCA President, Iain Mackintosh.