Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chessbase analysis
Does anyone have chessbase problems with Windows 10 ? I could hardly get it to work at the British Championships. It kept on hanging, freezing files, and it couldn't analyse games without putting in obscure symbols. Makes it very hard to play well.
(06-08-2018, 11:34 AM)amuir Wrote: Does anyone have chessbase problems with Windows 10 ? I could hardly get it to work at the British Championships. It kept on hanging, freezing files, and it couldn't analyse games without putting in obscure symbols. Makes it very hard to play well.

contact me Andy it could be a couple of things and check if the hard drive is an SSD drive. Windows 10 doesnt seem to work properly unless there's an SSD drive in it. Try the usual trusty tricks to optimise it  such as optimising memory etc. How long have you had the computer and how  much memory does it have?
Thanks Ian. I am interested in whether others can successfully run chessbase on a laptop with windows 10, its updates, the internet and all the other facilities in the background slowing it down. My 4 GB of RAM does seem to be minimal as is my Hard Disk Drive. Therefore certainly thinking of upgrading to 6 GB of RAM & Solid State Drive. Therefore I wonder whether if it is better to upgrade my current laptop or buy a new one.
yep that should help although i would upgrade to 8 GB ram and your processor details are a bit sketchy. I would be happy to have a look at it for you when i see you next. You shouldnt have any issues with chessbase. I would switch user account control off as well as this can cause issues with virtual store technology which i suspect may be an issue as chessbase uses local user profiles by default.
This is what ChessBase 14 recommend the system requirements are: -

Minimum: Pentium-PC, 1 GB RAM, Windows 7, DirectX9 graphics card with 256 MB RAM, DVD-ROM drive, Windows Media Player 9 and Internet access to activate the program, ChessBase Cloud and updates.

Recommended: PC Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, DirectX10 graphics card (or compatible) with 512 MB RAM or more, Windows Media Player, Adobe Flash Player (Live coverage), DVD ROM drive, Full HD Monitor and Internet access to activate the program, ChessBase Cloud and updates

If it helps,
I have ChessBase running successfully on 2 laptops (ACER and DELL), and on a tablet (Microsoft Surface) without any problems.
The ACER (4GB RAM) is originally Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 10,
The DELL is only a few months old.
The Tablet was originally Windows 8 PRO, again updated to Windows 10.

All Windows 10 Updates are installed as well
the problem would possibly arise from the speed of the hard disk and available memory hence an SSD drive would be ideal but not necessary. The graphics card is not important , but spare hard disk space is essential. Antivirus also has an impact on performance and i would suggest exception rules for this as well as using the many processing improvements. As i said in the email turning off user account control would help and if the laptop was upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 would slow it down . Important tip: before you do anything turn off and disable the windows search process and look on in wonder as your computer speeds up. This is one of the bugbears of windows 10. This process speeds up looking for files (which is rarely used) but eats all available processing and memory causing bottlenecks. Betya fixes the problem which is one of the reasons why i wanted to look at the laptop. Press control-alt-delete at the same time, select task manager and look at available cpu and memory. As Paul Daniels used to say , not a lot (available)
Ian, when is a time to meet up ? I am playing in the Isle of Man in October and need a working laptop by then. The CS AGM is usually in August but I could bring laptop into Glasgow for inspection and advice another time.

I am also recommending that Glorney Cup players use Chessbase in order to attain a 2000 rating to be competitive in future events. I had discussions with a parent about this in Paisley and it would be good if I can use my own laptop as an example of what works and what doesn't work in windows 10.
I have disabled user account control & windows search process, CB still does not respond.
Task manager shows memory = 50%: Anti-malware service executable 300 MB, Cortane 30 MB, Microsoft Windows System 30 MB, Disk Defragment 41 MB, WS Appx 45 MB are major users.
(09-08-2018, 08:39 PM)amuir Wrote: I have disabled user account control & windows search process, CB still does not respond.
Task manager shows memory = 50%: Anti-malware service executable 300 MB, Cortane 30 MB, Microsoft Windows System 30 MB, Disk Defragment 41 MB, WS Appx 45 MB are major users.

how much hard disk is free (availacle) how much in total?
Using windows explorer, local disk, right click , properties, Used space = 134 GB, Free space = 331 GB