Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympiad Young and Old
A nice news story there but was surprised that Paul Motwani does not appear in the list of youngest players? I'm sure I remember him telling me about his Olympiad trips when we were a University and pretty sure we were both teenagers at the time (long time ago Sad)
(26-07-2018, 08:02 AM)George Neave Wrote: A nice news story there but was surprised that Paul Motwani does not appear in the list of youngest players? I'm sure I remember him telling me about his Olympiad trips when we were a University and pretty sure we were both teenagers at the time (long time ago Sad)

Paul dob 13/6/1962 first played in Dubai Olympiad 14/11/1986
While it is true that WA Fairhurst's final Olympiad in a Scotland team was in 1968, he later switched to New Zealand (to which he emigrated) and turned out on Board one for them at Nice 1974 (and drew with GM Florin Gheorghiu)! Mind you, although he lived by far the greater part of his life in Scotland, he grew up in England, so he perhaps could claim three 'nationalities'. But perhaps the claim to be 'Scotland's' oldest Olympiad player may therefore still strictly remain with him, as he would have been just a month or so short of his 71st birthday at Nice 1974 (dob 21.08.1903)!? Depends on the definition, of course!

More to the point: good luck to Roddy (and all our other players in 2018)!