Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
international junior events
With regard to the announcement on the homepage regarding international junior events are CS also intending to send representatives to the World Youth in Greece and the U16 Olympiad in Turkey?
Have invites been sent out too or do parents have to get in touch?
Hi Robin and Andrew,

Just with Fiona Petrie and others in Chess Scotland being busy with the Glorney, Fiona has co-opted me into helping her with organisation around these events. I'm not involved in selection but am helping Fiona collate expressions of interest around these tournaments and setting cut-off dates around selection of the 'invited' Chess Scotland participant in each age category.

More than happy for Andy Howie or Fiona to correct me on this but my understanding is that the Euro Youth in Latvia and the World Cadets in Spain are the two tournaments for which formal correspondence has been sent to Chess Scotland regarding. If at the very least, we can start selecting which of our juniors are to be put forward as 'invited' players for these tournaments that will be a good start. 

Robin, You will know from my recent conversations with you that I would certainly be hopeful that we could be thinking about Greece and Turkey as soon as possible as well.

Andrew, we're looking for parents to contact us with an expression of interest. From that then, a selection can be made once the cut off date has past. As a chess parent who has conversations with many other chess parents, if there is clarity on a selection sooner rather than later, this then helps us with planning logistics either way. Parents have been getting in touch with me across today and I'm currently up to date with replies to all of them and expressions of interest lodged.

Happy for either/both of you to email me with any thoughts.

Ruairidh
Ruairidh thank you for stepping up and helping organise these events - it is much appreciated. 

I will make sure to spread the word to the parents. The 10th of June is fast approaching! 

I am a little worried that some parents may not check the CS webpage. I remember how excited I was as a boy when my parents told me that they received an invitation to the World Youth or Euro Youth even if I could not make it. I hope we can revert to formal invitations in future years. 

The current crop of juniors (especially in the younger sections) are the strongest I have ever seen in Scotland so it is really important that they get the chance to play in these events. I am excited to see how they perform against the best juniors in the world.
Thanks Andrew! Certainly the expression of interest system seems to be how the Irish are currently doing it. Let’s see if we can emulate that then go from there...
Ruaridh,

Thanks for this update, much appreciated. As you say, the Irish model is certainly worth strong consideration. It clearly outlines the dates and regulations for all relevant junior events together with cut off dates for expressions of interest. As Andrew has said, we have many talented young juniors and hopefully we can take advantage of any funded places offered by international organisers. In addition to the events both on the homepage and above on this thread, there are three other events where funding is available, two of which at least we have had representation in the past, namely,

Jugendschach, Mureck, Austria- 31st July-9th August

European Union Youth- Czech Republic- 6th-15th August

Saint Lo festival, France-7th-14th July

Time is tight but as funded places are available at all of these, they merit our attention asap.
Thanks Robin. There will be a list of expressions of interest by the 10th of June and these other tournaments may allow for extra opportunities for those not selected for Euro Youth. As well as specific declarations of interest in particular tournaments, there have been people generally getting in touch indicating interest in tournaments like these abroad.
I had no idea that was how the Irish organised these events. I am probably just being old fashioned wanting formal invites.  

The World Youth events in Greece are normally fantastic. 

It is great to see progress is being made on these events. The Glorney will be a good warm up - the Dutch will be the ones to beat I reckon.
https://www.icu.ie/articles/764

Andrew, Ruairidh,

Here is a link to the Irish selection method. The regulations and selection criteria are transparent and it seems to work well for them. I also think that the Glorney will be a good warm up with France and the Netherlands being favourites I guess but expect Wales to have a strong Gilbert team.
(01-06-2018, 10:50 AM)robin moore Wrote: https://www.icu.ie/articles/764

Andrew, Ruairidh,

Here is a link to the Irish selection method.  The regulations and selection criteria are transparent and it seems to work well for them.  I also think that the Glorney will be a good warm up with France and the Netherlands being favourites I guess but expect Wales to have a strong Gilbert team.

who met the 10th june deadline ? is there interest in sending players to these events ?