Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some topics of interest from the International Directors report
There were a couple of topics that particularly caught my eye in the International Director's report attached to the most recent CS committee minutes posted on this website. I wonder if these points are of sufficient interest to the wider membership to merit some discussion here? Specifically what I was thinking about was:

1) Seniors seeking SCO affiliation
Presumably to aid chances of selection for internationals? I'm intrigued who this would be! I hope that rules will not be relaxed. As the demographic for active chess players in Scotland continues to skew into senior territory I hope we do not have our possible team places hijacked by "foreigners". What are the current rules here I wonder? Personally I would hope any proposed changes would go to AGM.

2) No International Budget
I understand the organisation is strapped for cash but I would have thought entry fees for events such as Olympiad of European Championships ought to be close to top of the list of funding priorities. I wonder what is coming ahead of these? I'd appreciate if someone in the know could clarify here or point me towards where this information is shared with the general membership. I am sure this will be of interest to all paid up members like myself.
Having also read through the minutes of the meetings I remain baffled as to why we are throwing resources at the Glorney. I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it's a diddy event but it is compared to the pinnacle events like the World Youth, World Cadet, Euroyouth, Under 16 Olympiad etc, events where we receive fully funded places for all our players plus a Fide registered coach.
(13-04-2018, 04:36 PM)George Neave Wrote: There were a couple of topics that particularly caught my eye in the International Director's report attached to the most recent CS committee minutes posted on this website. I wonder if these points are of sufficient interest to the wider membership to merit some discussion here? Specifically what I was thinking about was:

1) Seniors seeking SCO affiliation
Presumably to aid chances of selection for internationals? I'm intrigued who this would be! I hope that rules will not be relaxed. As the demographic for active chess players in Scotland continues to skew into senior territory I hope we do not have our possible team places hijacked by "foreigners". What are the current rules here I wonder? Personally I would hope any proposed changes would go to AGM.

2) No International Budget
I understand the organisation is strapped for cash but I would have thought entry fees for events such as Olympiad of European Championships ought to be close to top of the list of funding priorities. I wonder what is coming ahead of these? I'd appreciate if someone in the know could clarify here or point me towards where this information is shared with the general membership. I am sure this will be of interest to all paid up members like myself.

Hi George,
(I'm in now Poland at the Euro Seniors Team Championships which starts tomorrow so won't be responding much over the next 10 or 12 days.)

Pont 1
Slight error here - That item should have been separated from the "Seniors" headline - it is a more general than solely seniors. As far as I am aware there are no proposed changes to Federation Change requests or eligibility criteria at this time.

Point 2
We are trying to build a Reserve Fund and put Chess Scotland onto a stable financial footing. Then we will revisit payment of fees for these, but unfortunately our financial resources are rater limited resources are limited at this time.

(13-04-2018, 06:39 PM)robin moore Wrote: Having also read through the minutes of the meetings I remain baffled as to why we are throwing resources at the Glorney. I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it's a diddy event but it is compared to the pinnacle events like the World Youth,  World Cadet, Euroyouth, Under 16 Olympiad etc,  events where we receive fully funded places for all our players plus a Fide registered coach.

Robin,

I'm afraid that I'm not posting to clear "I remain baffled"

The resources being "thrown" at the Glorney are predominantly people and time who are putting a lot of effort into trying to ensure, that as host nation, that this event is a success.

More importantly all the youngsters in the various squads WANT to play in this event, and even look forward to it. That's 20 youngsters being catered for rather than 4/5 for a single team

Once again this is the only posting I'm going to make from Poland!

We have launched an appeal for this and I hope people can see it to make even a small contribution towards it.
Jim,

At some of the pinnacle events I mention above Scotland receive a fully funded place for a boy and a girl at all age groups from under 8 to under 18, hardly "4/5 for a single team".
Are you seriously telling CS members that our juniors don't WANT to play in the events I have mentioned? If I was a parent of a potential player it wouldn't take me long to decide whether to accept a fully funded place at the World Youth in Greece/ World Cadet in Spain or spend three days in Paisley.
(13-04-2018, 08:23 PM)robin moore Wrote: Jim,

At some of the pinnacle events I mention above Scotland receive a fully funded place for a boy and a girl at all age groups from under 8 to under 18, hardly "4/5 for a single team".
Are you seriously telling CS members that our juniors don't WANT to play in the events I have mentioned?  If I was a parent of a potential player it wouldn't take me long to decide whether to accept a fully funded place at the World Youth in Greece/ World Cadet in Spain or spend three days in Paisley.

Robin,

This is my last post on this subject. Nor will I answer any further questions at this time.

Quote: - Are you seriously telling CS members that our juniors don't WANT to play in the events I have mentioned?  

--- Did I say that? I thought I said "all the youngsters in the various squads WANT to play in this event"

If a child wants to pay in any of the individual events you mention we will certainly not stand in their way, We will offer to help with the registration process (it would need to be done via their Federation after all) events. To be quite honest it is the individuals choice (and their parents) choice.  Chess Scotland would only intervene if more that one individual in any category wished to play - then we would need to make decision on who would be entitled to any funded place(s) - but I personally don't see that happening anytime soon.

Nor will we stop any team entering in the Junior team events but as I keep saying (like a stuck record) we do not have the resources to offer additional financial support. Once again, as I have posted before, Chess Scotland first need to build reserves and be financially stable before funding such exercises.

I would certainly not support putting Chess Scotland in financial difficulties to support your notions at this time.

Should you feel that this is something you can assist in - by helping raise funds for events please come forward and, rather than criticise, us for doing nothing in your opinion, offer to help!

Going back in history to your time (apologies to others - couldn't resist that!) Chess Scotland was receiving a substantial grant that was withdrawn a number of years ago and we cannot replace that overnight - That is the priority at this time.

Goodnight and goodbye.
Regarding raising funds, you will be glad to know that I am one of the persons who have contributed through my wages to the SJCAET charity and I would recommend to anyone considering it to do so.
The CS budget for the Glorney three day event in Paisley is £6250.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell CS members what the budget will be to send a full under 8-under 18 squad including a Fide registered coach to an event like the Euroyouth event in Riga in August this year?
I think the Glorney is a good event and it looks even better now that France and the Netherlands are playing in it again. Will these countries be hosting the event at some point too? 

When I was a junior, the acting IJD realised that the Glorney was very expensive to host and was moving towards the European U/18 Team Championships which was an even stronger and better event. I believe it is only 100 euros to enter a team. Over the years, this tournament seems to have been forgotten. Perhaps this could be the solution if money is tight?

It will be a very sad day if CS has to end its tradition of entering the Glorney. I will be donating and I hope CS reach their target.
I am giving of my time free to train the Glorney Squad at their 1st training event on 28 April. All I want is my travel expenses. Playing in the Glorney in 1973 helped me to continue playing chess 45 years later today. I support the event.

The Olympiad selectors have named a bold and exciting team in the Open event with plenty of hungry players. I hope their preparation goes well.
(14-04-2018, 10:27 AM)amuir Wrote: I am giving of my time free to train the Glorney Squad at their 1st training event on 28 April. All I want is my travel expenses. Playing in the Glorney in 1973 helped me to continue playing chess 45 years later today. I support the event.

The Olympiad selectors have named a bold and exciting team in the Open event with plenty of hungry players. I hope their preparation goes well.

Where's the Olympiad team posted?

I was hoping this thread would not turn into another junior chess argument. There is a separate area for those who want to go over this (again). Personally I am more interested in the main adult game which is the one where the majority of paying players reside. I feel development of the adult game in Scotland gets insufficient (no?) discussion. My only observation on junior chess would be that it is all rather pointless if there is a not a healthy adult game that you can develop into. Unlike most other sports, chess seems to be the one of the few that falls off a cliff when you grow-up (at east in Scotland).

Above did not answer my point 2 actually - what are strategic priorities for funding - have we defined that?
https://www.chessscotland.com/news-post/...and-teams/ if you've not spotted it yet George.
Agreed that adult game needs more attention.