Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap DGT clocks
In cade you missed it, it would appear that DGT are offering the 2010 clock to federations for £15.

That is a bargain, perhaps something could be arranged for a bulk order of some kind.

The ECF seem to be slightly more pro-active as can be seen here.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/new-dgt-clocks/
There are strings attached.
The one I know about is that the federation is not allowed to profit.
The prices are €15 (not pounds) for 2010s and €20 for 3000s.
VAT situation is unclear. Also my understanding is that only associated bodies will be allowed to benefit.
I don't know what the other strings are.
Applications must be made through FIDE Development Commission, and therefore through CS first.
Strings or not this seems like one of the most positive things FIDE has ever done! Are we absolutely sure this isnt a late April Fools?

I'm glad John has highlighted this. We should be jumping on this opportunity. Come on Chess Scotland we're waiting... can't believe the ECF were on this before us.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Any news on this front?

I'm interested as we're looking at buying some for the club and have just bought some 1002s and you can get 2010s or 3000s for the same price. We (Scotland) should be jumping on this!
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Bon Accord is also very interested in this as our clocks are really getting on a bit.
Edinburgh Civil Service would be interested.
It's an excellent deal if it's available. Just to give examples of retail price you get

3000 (20 Euro offer ~£18) https://www.amazon.co.uk/DGT-4695-3000-G...00O53SIKC/
2010 (15 Euro offer ~ £13.50) https://www.amazon.co.uk/DGT-2010-Digita...B0033Q44FA

I believe that part of delay to get back is that CS isn't sure exactly what constitutes a "bulk order" (i.e. 10s, 100s or even 1000s of clocks) and doesn't want to raise hopes and then find themselves in a position where they're unable to proceed with order.

Apart from VAT it's also possible that postage fees could apply. Assuming there are no massive extra fees any club with analogue clocks should definitely consider upgrading considering it's round 1/4 of cheapest price I saw when looking around for clocks earlier this year
And not just clocks, apparently. A new plastic electronic board with clock and pieces at 145 euro as well. Available November.
OK folks, I'll try to find some things out about all of this.
1. Who the formal contact is
2. What constitutes a bulk order
3. When will it be available
4. What are the "extras" we don't know about

But it would be helpful to know just how many of you have a serious interest and what numbers we are potentially looking at.
To that end send me an email with, No of Clocks and what model, name of club (must be a CS member club) since it is only available through Federations to FIDE.

I'll also take numbers from Affiliates such as LJC and NEJCA if they are interested as well.

It also has to be stressed that these cannot be resold, passed (gifted), or bought on behalf others, outside CS membership under the terms of the offer.

There may be some additional UK added costs as well which I will need to check on - such as Import duty for large quantities other than personal use - any tax accountant out there who can advise please drop me an email!

I will be away from 5th - 19th November at World Seniors in Acqui Termi, Italy - and last time internet was rather intermittent to say the least, but I'll do the best I can when there.
That's very good, Jim. Though ideally someone without internet issues would be better.

Also just spent 5 minutes searching for your email address on the Chess Scotland site and have failed to find it.

You would have expected to find it on the contacts page but no luck. To be fair more than half of names do not appear to be contactable from the contact page, so you're not alone. Perhaps you could please remind those of us who are not in possession of your email address what it is?