Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Scotland Finances
Under the new proposals - what benefit does LJC have being affiliated with Chess Scotland?
Thanks in advance,
Martin
Lothian Junior Chess
http://www.ljc.org.uk
What benefits have changed?

Apart from general across the board fee increases the main change for Junior chess is the introduction of a grading charge of 50p/player at events where an entry fee is charged.

Is that really too much of a charge to pass on as an increase in entry fess for your junior events?

No one is suggesting that LJC, or any other Junior organisation, absorb these increases.

Chess Scotland are still not charging grading fees for school or internal junior club competitions.

Is it really reasonable to only add increases to adult members?
We should also bear in mind that many of the graded juniors are not actually members of Chess Scotland, other than by affiliation.

Jim Webster
(19-07-2017, 10:48 AM)Jim Webster Wrote: What benefits have changed?

Hi Jim,
Thats why I'm asking - I'm in fact finding mode right now - some of our committee were under the impression that our affiliation fee 'paid' for our grading costs. It sounds like they were mistaken and that it wasn't a benefit of affiliation. 
Thanks,
Martin
Lothian Junior Chess
http://www.ljc.org.uk
(19-07-2017, 11:52 AM)mclarke Wrote:
(19-07-2017, 10:48 AM)Jim Webster Wrote: What benefits have changed?

Hi Jim,
Thats why I'm asking - I'm in fact finding mode right now - some of our committee were under the impression that our affiliation fee 'paid' for our grading costs. It sounds like they were mistaken and that it wasn't a benefit of affiliation. 
Thanks,
Martin

Free junior grading was not exclusive to affiliated organisations - it was available to ALL Scottish junior organisations affiliated or not.

As stated earlier the Chess Scotland Finances can no longer support our commitments and we have decided to spread increases and charges across the whole range of our activities.  When considering these increases, it this junior grading charge was felt to be one which has minimalistic effects on junior players and that a simple addition to a tournament entry fee of 50p per player per event is realistic. 

On a more General note: -

All Affiliations had the opportunity to be part of these discussions but did not exercise that option.  As a Chess Scotland affiliate, they have a place on Council but to date have not taken up this option.

Some did not attend the council meeting in March despite the meeting being advertised on the CS Calendar, and neither did we receive apologies of absence for non-attendance.

By forgoing these Affiliate options, I would think that it is reasonable for Affiliates to accept the democratic decisions of those who gave up their time, and put a lot of work into, developing this solution for the benefit of Chess Scotland and it’s all membership groups.