Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
International Director
As I will be unable to attend the AGM this year, I would just like to announce that I am standing for re-election and would appreciate the opportunity to continue with the work I have been doing since last summer, which includes among other things...

-Promoting Scottish chess on an international level;
-Ensuring representation by Chess Scotland in major team events (adult and senior) ;
-Re-building relationships with disaffected players;
-Seeking sponsorship to allow Scottish players extra opportunities at international level.

The past year, my first in charge of the ID role, has been challenging (with 4 senior events and also an Olympiad to organise teams and individuals for) but I have been helped greatly by many CS members and officials, to whom I am very grateful.

Hopefully, if I am given another term in charge, I can expand on these things. As always, I am open to ideas and constructive criticism and can be reached via <!-- e --><a href="mailto:abburnett@hotmail.com">abburnett@hotmail.com</a><!-- e --> at any time.

Kind regards,
Andy Burnett
(CS International Director)
I am standing for the International Director position at the AGM.

I held this position from 2009 to 2015. During this period I organised selections for the Olympiad and European Team Championhips, four senior events a year, European Club Cups, European and World Women’s Championships, Cappelle and the British Championships.

In the last year of my post I did exceptionally well, getting sponsorship for two matches against the Basque federation and the World Senior Team Championship where Scotland finished 7th.

If I am elected:
On the position of Olympiad captain, this will be chosen by a panel of five which will include former & current players and captains.
Senior teams will be chosen four months before the deadline to give sufficient time for flight booking.
No selector will choose themself for any position.

If you think that I have done a good job in the past and will do so in the future then please vote for me.
It is a positive that there is competition for this post and I hope that members respond by voting, either in person or through proxy.

To reiterate my criteria for deciding: I will be voting based on the candidate's track record and my assessment of their self-awareness, essential to relate effectively with players, officials, and potential sponsors.
It's always good to see more than one person showing a willingness to help CS work and make progress.

I would like to point out one thing, however, which readers may have missed on a different thread.

Quote:On the position of Olympiad captain, this will be chosen by a panel of five which will include former & current players and captains.
Andy Muir

As I have already answered Andy Muir's question regarding my captaincy in Baku on the other thread, I will re-iterate it here: there were no offers for the role - and no takers when I asked individuals if they could/would do the job.

Therefore, after discussions with the teams, I decided to fund my own way to Baku (including paying my own FIDE trainers fee) in order that we might have someone there to take on most of the 'non-chessplaying duties'-as well as to help out the women's team with preparation where required.

Unfortunately I can only stay there for the first 9 days, but hopefully this will help the teams to focus on their chess rather than 'paperwork'.

I only mention this to make matters clear. If anyone ever has any questions about my decisions as ID, I am only too happy to explain them, and as always am open to constructive criticism - both privately and publicly!
In the interests of democracy, I suggest that new members who only joined CS within the last 6 months are ineligible to vote unless they pay £25.
Alan Tate Wrote:In the interests of democracy, I suggest that new members who only joined CS within the last 6 months are ineligible to vote unless they pay £25.

only if theyre paid upmembers of the labour party. SNP members should also get two proxy votes for being sensible. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
That can’t be right Ian - in the interests of democracy, everyone should get two votes. Lib Dem party members could get two votes, it wouldn’t matter as they would cast one vote for each Andy. Minorities should not be discriminated against, so Tory Party members and pandas should get two votes, less one vote for each bedroom in their house Big Grin
Surely a bonus proxy vote is in order if you attended the same school as your party leader? (as long as it's Nicola).