Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Scotland Grading
I've asked this before and there was not much interest, but Is there any reason why CS grades only once a year. Why have live grading if grades are exaggerated until a player plays 30 games? Surely this leads to skewed results (this is according to my very basic understanding of the CS rating system).
I have asked this before. Within the confines of the current program it is not possible to grade more than once a year. Then there is the problem with leagues and how they can be done with a grading change in between. Finally what do you do with a grader that sends in the results late and misses the mid point?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I see. Of course Dougie does a fine job as it is and if it would require a whole new program that sounds like a lot of work. But I'm sure he said bi-annually would be possible.
Re leagues, I'm sure there are ways around that. Fide does it and they grade every month.
FIDE have a little bit more cash than CS, (despite a substantial overspend last year) and full-time employees.
What would be the big advantage in having monthly CS grading?
Board order in league chess could become a problem, as could eligibility for grade restricted sections at congresses.
The present combination of a yearly published grade, and weekly 'live' updates seems to work pretty well.
The current system is designed for players playing >30 games. It doesn't level out until then, hence live updates are... wild. Honestly it doesn't bother me, I'm much more interested in Fide rating.
If it's problematic to code, fine. But talking about league grades is not a reason!