Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Youth U-16 Chess Olympiad 2016
robin moore Wrote:Jim, It's ChessScotland that nominate them to the organisers, one boy and one girl.

Yes but only the player(s) has accommodation paid, anyone accompanying a player is not funded.

I personally would be reluctant to send unaccompanied Juniors to any event with such complex travel arrangements and let them fend for themselves. Especially in India - it is a great country to visit (and work in) but a lot of care is needed when travelling around and especially with hygiene. Ever heard of "Delhi belly" - it's not restricted to Delhi and is very real. I have been fortunate enough never to have experienced it, but have on more than one occasion had to be responsible for sending sufferers back to the UK.
amuir Wrote:These summer clashes seem to be the number one headache for any IJD in the future. Who the heck could cope with all this planning ?

Me!! :ymbringiton:

Scottish - Scotland 15/7 to 23/7 (best guess)
Glorney - Cardiff 23/7 to 27/7 (provisional)
British - Llandudno 28/7 to 6/8 (see here http://www.englishchess.org.uk/2017-brit...mpionships)
World Cadet - Brasilia, Brasil (U8 to U12) 21/8 to 31/8
EuroYouth - Mamaia, Romania (U8 to U18) 3/9 to 14/9
World Youth- Montivedeo, Uruguay (U14 to U18) 16/9 to 26/9
World Junior - Tarvisio, Italy (U20) 1/10 to 16/10
U-16 Olympiad - India - no dates announced yet or any further information such as city.
(see here https://www.fide.com/index.php?option=co...ar&ny=2017 for the above 5)
EU Youth (Czech Republic) (U8 to U14) - Probably Kouty nad Desnou, probably August.
EUYCC (Austria) (U8 to U14) - Almost Certainly Mureck, almost certainly August.
Commonwealth championships - No information available at the moment.

I would be looking to build most of these events into the Junior International Structure, whilst bearing in mind the costs and accessibility of some of the more far-flung venues.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
I think the hotel costs quoted for the World Junior are for the whole stay, e.g. Double room 975 euro/15nights. The organiser's website isn't explicit about this, but I think even FIDE might baulk at paying @1000 euros per night! Going through the hotel directly it would cost 65euros per night for a deluxe double.
David G Congalton Wrote:
amuir Wrote:These summer clashes seem to be the number one headache for any IJD in the future. Who the heck could cope with all this planning ?

Me!! :ymbringiton:

Scottish - Scotland 15/7 to 23/7 (best guess)
Glorney - Cardiff 23/7 to 27/7 (provisional)
British - Llandudno 28/7 to 6/8 (see here http://www.englishchess.org.uk/2017-brit...mpionships)
World Cadet - Brasilia, Brasil (U8 to U12) 21/8 to 31/8
EuroYouth - Mamaia, Romania (U8 to U18) 3/9 to 14/9
World Youth- Montivedeo, Uruguay (U14 to U18) 16/9 to 26/9
World Junior - Tarvisio, Italy (U20) 1/10 to 16/10
U-16 Olympiad - India - no dates announced yet or any further information such as city.
(see here https://www.fide.com/index.php?option=co...ar&ny=2017 for the above 5)
EU Youth (Czech Republic) (U8 to U14) - Probably Kouty nad Desnou, probably August.
EUYCC (Austria) (U8 to U14) - Almost Certainly Mureck, almost certainly August.
Commonwealth championships - No information available at the moment.

I would be looking to build most of these events into the Junior International Structure, whilst bearing in mind the costs and accessibility of some of the more far-flung venues.

Andy Muir,

As you are standing for election as International Junior Director at the ChessScotland agm, would you be kind enough to share your plans with the membership of how you would prioritise the events listed in David's post above, what percentage of the IJD budget you would allocate to each one and what level of coaching support you would envisage providing.
You will of course also have to organise, budget and provide coaching support for events like the Liverpool Quadrangular, not listed above.
Robin

I shall not now be standing as IJD as I have other priorities.

However my recommendations are for 2017, if the dates given are accurate :
The Scottish Boys Champion shall be the player with most points after 7 rounds of the Scottish Championship.
Glorney Cup players are recommended to play in the Scottish & then travel straight from Dundee to Cardiff. A travel plan should be arranged with individuals taking byes as required for rounds 8 & 9 of Scottish.
A player will not be selected for Euro/World/Youth/Junior tournaments if they are unavailable to play the Glorney. Any success in Glorney means the trophy will be brought to the AGM.
Worthwhile noting here that in recent years David Congalton has

Resurrected the Primary Individual after a hiatus.

Hosted the Glorney the year after Scotland were unable to host the event following some unfortunate and unforeseen complications at Stirling.

Been the contact person and chief organiser for multiple junior events abroad.

Recently he has had to do this on his own following the departure of the Junior directors elected at the 2015 agm.

All this on top of organising multiple weekend tournaments and controlling financial affairs to ensure that CS is close to a break even situation over the 12 month cycle.

I don’t understand the point of writing a long list of junior events and their dates and fretting over how to send the same youngsters to all events. Its not Pokemon go – you don’t have to catch them all !!. Better is the solution adopted by David - chose the events to suit the juniors’ needs rather than try to send best possible team to every event.

However Andy Muir’s comments about the world Juniors is highly pertinent.
The 2016 event is underway in India, transports costs would have been a major issue. Published advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office does not advice against visiting this part of India.
The 2017 event will be in Italy, and will be much cheaper and quicker to reach. Like India much British style food should be available instead of curries there should be pizza, pasta, spaghetti, ice cream. Sending unaccompanied juniors need not be an issue. These are under U20 events (Under 20 more than 9 months before the event kicks off).
Costs for FIDE events are defined by tournament regulation. For India 2016 one girl and one boy per country gets free accommodation – plus a few admin costs – its all in the tournament regulations. For Italy 2017 details should be out a few months before the event.

Andy Muir is standing for a directorship at the 2016 agm. Recent postings on the forum confirm that this will be a disputed election. Democracy does not always produce the best results, 300,000,000 citizens in the USA and they narrowed it down to those two !

I saw no need for Andy Muir to produce detailed plans showing the percentage of the junior budget that he would have allocated to a long list of events. That has never happened before as far as I know for any CS director. Plus my reading of the new constitution is that any such plans should be ratified by the junior board.

In an earlier posting it was suggested that Andy Muir should click the like button on facebook to show his appreciation of the junior’s T shirts. Bizarre logic – at the time that item had only 6 likes. Hence 99% of CS members had not clicked the like button.
Quote:Andy Muir is standing for a directorship at the 2016 agm. Recent postings on the forum confirm that this will be a disputed election. Democracy does not always produce the best results, 300,000,000 citizens in the USA and they narrowed it down to those two !

Not sure I like the inference Phil.
edit: forgot the smileyface/wink **==
David G Congalton Wrote:Scottish - Scotland 15/7 to 23/7 (best guess)

This represents a clash with a tournament popular with Scots. I hope it's not true.