Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson Final
We will be broadcasting the Richardson Final tomorrow, after the criticism of only showing the top 4 boards last year so we could see some Spens / Campbell Rosebowl action, it will be all 8 boards.

I also have my camera back repaired Big Grin

If either captain wants to send me their team so I can set up early (but not publish), I would be very grateful Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Looking forward to it. Hope all the participants remember to turn their phones off this time.
Kick off at high noon! Links to games

Flash Multiboard Mobile
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Many thanks Andy Smile
Shame I couldn't make it, but keeping an eye on the games instead. Hopefully we can pull off a minor miracle.
Wee technical hitch there, lost power to the dock. Will be back live in a few minutes
I'm trying to understand Lothian - Berry. The position exists with a Black pawn on c6 instead of a6 but in this position there are tactical possibilities based around the fact that White may have Nxd5 and e6 and also along the h1 - a8 diagonal. For instance if Black plays 7 ... e6 8. Qf3 Qd7 Black can not play ... h6 next move because this would allow Nxd5, e6 and Qh5+. However when the Black bishop comes to b7 it will be a strong piece so White should play forcefully. 8. a4 seems to force ... b4 but that allows 9. Nxd5 ed5 10. Bxc4! due to the pin. So I don't know what Black should play.
Lost board 7, suspect there is a battery pack issue. Grrr
Perhaps 7 ... e6 8. Qf3 Qd7 9. a4 Bb7 10. ab5 ab5 11. Rxa8 Bxa8 is just fine for Black. 12. Nxb5 Qxb5 13. Qxf7 Kd8 14. Nxe6+ Kc8 15. Nxf8 is a mess but I'm thinking that Black's king looks safer than Whites (d'oh! .. Qb4+ there wins the knight). 12. Nxb5 h6 could be a bigger problem for White. 13. Bxc4 hg5 14. Bxg5 is one continuation but this doesn't look scary for Black. 12. Nxb5 h6 13. Qh5 may be playable. Nah, I've lost faith in the whole idea. White should probably just continue normally with Be2, with or without a4.
Alan Tate Wrote:I'm trying to understand Lothian - Berry. The position exists with a Black pawn on c6 instead of a6 but in this position there are tactical possibilities based around the fact that White may have Nxd5 and e6 and also along the h1 - a8 diagonal. For instance if Black plays 7 ... e6 8. Qf3 Qd7 Black can not play ... h6 next move because this would allow Nxd5, e6 and Qh5+. However when the Black bishop comes to b7 it will be a strong piece so White should play forcefully. 8. a4 seems to force ... b4 but that allows 9. Nxd5 ed5 10. Bxc4! due to the pin. So I don't know what Black should play.

Not quite following your analysis here Alan :/ 7.Ng5 has been seen a few times before, including a game Bogoljubov-Alekhine apparently. I thought I remembered some Hebden games as white here but can't find them now.

Anyway, 7.Ng5 e6 8.a4 doesn't force 8...b4 ( a bad move for the reasons you give) but he rather has several other decent moves. The main line waa actually 7.a4 instead of 7.Ng5

Just spotted your update so ignore this if you like Smile