Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Senior Team Championships 2016
After yesterday's fine 3-1 win against Sweden, today's live A team match with Switzerland should be very interesting. Scotland B have chance to complete a double over the Swedes but their games are unlikely to be shown live. Ian Robertson (1.5/3) Raj Bhopal (1/3) and Stephen Robinson (0.5/3) are playing in the World Amateur (under 2300 group) but only the leading few boards are being shown live.
Well done our over 65 B team who completed the double against Sweden 2.5/1.5 with fine wins for Alastair White and Douglas McKerracher and a draw by Ian Marks, all against higher rated players. Unfortunately the A team could not repeat yesterday's success and they lost 1-3 to Switzerland with Peter and Alan getting draws. Better news in the World Amateur (over 2300) where Ian Robertson and Stephen Robinson won and Raj Bhopal drew. Tomorrow, Scotland A meet Scotland B but unfortunately the games are not likely to be published live.
Of course. it was regrettable but unavoidable that our two teams should meet, but three draws suggest it was a bonny fight … Scotland A are lying 3rd after Round 5 but still have to face Russia and Israel in addition to Wales and Norway.

Some of our “boys” are doing really well. Alan Scrimgour, for example, is sitting on 80%, and isn’t Alastair White putting in a real captain’s “lead from the front” example? Currently, Alan is ranked 4th= overall and is outright leader on Board 4.

Keep it up …

George

PS I haven’t mentioned Ian Marks whose first Round win looks like one for the anthologies - Black to play and win! My reason? Entirely Scottish. It’d probably cost me an ice cream, and I like to keep my siller in my pocket. (Just kidding, Ian. I’ll buy you one first time I see you. Honest! That aside, all your work on Book Reviews may have produced its own reward?)

G
Hi George,

Thanks for the praise but I should really point out that I am not captain of the B-team - that distinction falls to El Presidento Jimbo who has had a really tough time over the board in a very strong tournament but who is characteristically putting in a power of work off it, arranging things as required for the 11-man Scottish contingent.

Scotland A vs Scotland B was a hard-fought affair with no quarter given or expected. Ian and myself did well to hold Gerald and Phil with the Black pieces, while Douglas came close to beating Peter and drawing the match (in the end he was the exchange up but in a difficult position and short of time).

Today both teams have very strong opposition in Israel and Switzerland. They will do well to take anything out of those matches.
Hi Alastair,

Since you're reading the forum can you mention to Jim that I sent him an important e-mail this morning!

Thanks,
Andy B
andyburnett Wrote:Since you're reading the forum can you mention to Jim that I sent him an important e-mail this morning!

Andy - I got it.

I will see everybody together in about 30 minutes. Will send a reply after the matches have finished.
Hi Alastair,

My mistake. The International page did not specify who was to be captain, but I noticed that you and Alan swapped with each other, and I assumed from that that you had offered to take on the job. I have to say that would have been characteristic of you.

Judging by his poise in conducting last year’s AGM, I do not believe for one minute that our President would be in the slightest bit upset by an honest mistake. No slight was intended, and I’m sure no offence was taken.

George
Good results yesterday by our 50+ contingent in the World Amateur (2300+) Championship in Greece with Raj Bhopal and Stephen Robinson winning and Ian Robertson drawing - all three of them now have 3/6 pts. Not so good for our two 65+ teams in the European Seniors Team Championship but there are still 3 rounds to go so hopefully both teams will finish strongly Big Grin Wales are looking good with chances maybe of bronze medals but they still have to play both of our teams!
Wow! Another terrific win for Ian Marks - this time in the 7th Round. Those Book Reviews are certainly paying off. (Downside is I’ll have to buy another ice cream …)

Good wins, too, by Philip and Alan for Scotland A!!

George
Ian's checkmate today was lovely, bishop sac to deflect King away so pawn promotes with a double check and mate. He has only lost 1/7 and played higher graded opponents every round. With the 2 wins against titled players to. Any chance of a title norm? CM maybe?