Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Lothian Junior Chess Event
Jim Webster Wrote:
andyburnett Wrote:Is the calendar so full that this couldn't have been foreseen or avoided?

PShafi Wrote:Also, according to the NEJCA website, the NEJCA Keith Hoban junior event has been switched the 28th too

Mike Scott, Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:35 Wrote:Our next event at the Wester Hailes Education Centre is the "Lothian Junior Chess Championships" on Sunday 28th Feb

What I personally find strange is that the SNCL dates were announced as early as 25/10/2015 so surely these date conflicts should/could have been avoided by the relevant organisers.

SNCL dates were on the calendar from April 2015. We have to announce early as they are FIDE rated and there is a minimum time
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
For those criticising Mike, please stop Big Grin Until recently it would not have mattered an Iota as there were not many junior playing in SNCL. We now have Lenzie, 3 teams from the Lothians, Dundee, Bon Accord (they are almost all Juniors) who all field juniors or are significantly made of juniors.

This is fantastic to see as it brings the juniors to long time controls and pinching grading points from Adults (which is always a good thing). I have seen some of the players who have been playing SNCL taking part in Weekend congresses with good results.

The reason I asked Mike if we can avoid a clash in future is as well as us being a team down now (which we have filled), that is 15-20 players that would normally play in his event who will be in SNCL.

I don't think NEJCA clashing in March will be an issue as there are not as many juniors from there playing.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Quote:For those criticising Mike, please stop Big Grin

I ain't got a problem with it - its all been in right spirit - especially since you are all wrong! Joking.

Better to have a debate and try and work out a better way if possible.

I should clarify that the committee probably did know that there was a clash but would not have seen it as a real clash because historically there was liitle or no overlap between the two events. The fact that there would be some overlap now was almost certainly not known until relatively recently and would not necessarily something the SNCL or LJC would have been automatically aware of.

Just for the record we are up to 85 entrants of which 24 are secondary. The total number is a record for at least the last 12 years I think.

Glad you have sorted your extra team out Andy.
Mike Scott Wrote:Just for the record we are up to 85 entrants of which 24 are secondary. The total number is a record for at least the last 12 years I think.

Excellent news Mike Big Grin
I only joined the committee this year and I wasn't involved setting the calendar - but with my LJC hat - the SNCL clashes have already been discussed and are 'already on our radar'. From our perspective, the clash isn't great, as many of the LJC team are playing SNCL - so we're short on the control team side tomorrow.

It'll be another important constraint we will take into account next year (along with School holidays, Venue Availability, Adult Congresses, SJC events, CS junior events, UK Chess Challenge reqs and control team availability) - given the number of Juniors now playing SNCL - it'll be an important one.

Martin
Lothian Junior Chess
http://www.ljc.org.uk
Well, if it had been pointed out in the initial post that they were only a filler team anyway, it might have prevented some of us from being a bit annoyed at the situation!
Hi Andy,
Quote:Well, if it had been pointed out in the initial post that they were only a filler team anyway, it might have prevented some of us from being a bit annoyed at the situation!

"Apology" accepted. Big Grin

No doubt whoever let you express an opinion based on an incomplete set of facts will themselves offer apologies for letting you lead yourself astray. Never happened to me (or not for at least a week). :ymsmug:

What might be good is if a junior team could be selected to play in the SNCL, to be formed from players not otherwise playing and as part of a pathway to introduce players to the next level.
Not a bad idea if we have an odd number of teams. I am hoping the third team will be a full team next year as the other two teams have done pretty well for their first season. The first team are going to narrowly miss out on promotion.

I would be scared of the Lenzie players next season if I was in division 4. They have been a bit unfortunate this season. Watching them play this afternoon, they are going to shoot up the divisions if they keep playing like that.
Mike Scott Wrote:Hi Andy,
Quote:Well, if it had been pointed out in the initial post that they were only a filler team anyway, it might have prevented some of us from being a bit annoyed at the situation!

"Apology" accepted. Big Grin

No doubt whoever let you express an opinion based on an incomplete set of facts will themselves offer apologies for letting you lead yourself astray. Never happened to me (or not for at least a week). :ymsmug:

What might be good is if a junior team could be selected to play in the SNCL, to be formed from players not otherwise playing and as part of a pathway to introduce players to the next level.

Hi Mike, I'd apologise if I had said anything against you Wink
Hi Andy B.
My tongue was very much in my cheek - no apology was needed: it just seemed too good a chance to stir the pot a bit.

Prize winners are now up:-
http://www.ljc.org.uk

and the full results will follow shortly.