Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Youth Championships
That was some game!

Angus is right, there are some cracking games on offer today. Good luck Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Yup Robin. 13...0-0 we didn't consider but Colin just played very logical moves like in the other lines we had and cleaned out a much higher rated opponent. A very impressive game indeed and hopefully many more to come.
Round 6.

3.5/9 With wins for Kiron, Ali and Maryann and a really impressive draw late in the day for Hamish in an
interesting endgame against a 2300+ FM. Will try and get that game posted today.

At least 3 of the others were unlucky to lose in very tight games and all 9 have been competitive in nearly all their games with very few easy points for opponents.

3 rounds to go and it's important to give it all right up to the last moves of the last round. Nice for the players to get your messages of support. Some are moving into some sharp form so looking for that to continue.
It was still a fair day pointswise and good to see consistent scoring to date from everyone. Hamish's result must be particularly pleasing for him as he has been edged out a few times in the endgame at this level by guys graded considerably higher than him, well done !. I hope I don't say the wrong thing here, but today looks slightly easier than yesterday overall, their is still plenty of good points to play for, keep positive and focused.
Another excellent result for Colin today, and also a good day all around. Keep up the good work guys!
5/9 yesterday with wins for Colin,Hamish,Ian and Maryann. Also draws for Anna and Ali.

Colin having been under pressure early eventually won quite easily against a near 1700 grade. Hamish was winning only to lose the advantage and then found something when opponent was in time trouble. Ian won what might be a drawn endgame and Maryann says she benefitted from prep and was a pawn up early on and played well after that. Frankly all the players are deserving a bit of good fortune because they've all missed out on 1/2 and full points here and there.

It's been hot and the rain has mainly stayed off allthough it is meant to be rainy season. The team enjoyed relaxing in the hotel pool last night and seem fine. Have been a few issues with a few with colds/sore throat and Andrew having quite a bit of sun burn. All seem fine though and they all joined in the swim last night. Prep will start soon.

Angus
Some tough pairings today by the looks of things but it's a measure of how well the likes of Colin and Maryann have been playing that I was hoping for wins or draws today, against players rated 400 to 500 points above them.

I've thoroughly enjoyed following the results so far and reading Angus's reports. Every round so far has produced one (or more) results that has put a smile on my face. Maryann's draw in the first round against an opponent rated 500+ points above her, Colin despatching his round 5 opponent with his aggressive pawns, Ali's round 3 draw with a 2100 WFM, Cristina's fifth round victory against her Nowegian opponent, Anna's second round win against a girl rated 1612, Ian bouncing back in rounds 2, 5 and 7, Kiron's round 6 win, Andrew's in round 5 and Hamish putting together back to back wins in rounds 7 and 8 against 2000+ and 2100+ opponents.

Some of the draws have like today been quite tough but it's fantastic to see our juniors right in there mixing it up on the world stage with the best and getting points on the board. Brilliant!

Can I now have assurances that I will no longer be seeing Mr Howie Jnr, Miss Espinosa and Miss Milton in the minor sections of Scottish events for the rest of the year?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
3.5/9 in 8th Round

Wins for Andrew, Cristina and Hamish and draw for Anna.

Final round starts in about 3 hours time. Some up prepping already at 6am.

Some have really excelled and for others it's a story of what might have been but all have applied themselves in a way they can be proud of.

Hoping for a good haul of points in the last round.
Thanks to those who have posted messages of support. It's been important to the squad especially when 8,000 miles away from home.

Angus
Personally I think everyone has done really well. We have had some horrible draws and from that have taken some excellent results.

Well done everyone
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Hi

Just a comment on the link to the Scottish results:

Currently it goes to the page showing all Scottish results, but it is in Portugese. This could be changed to the English version, which is:

http://chess-results.com/tnr58159.aspx?a...=1&flag=30

I know it is a bit late in the day, but I thought I would mention it.