Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Youth Championships
back on the internet now with a bit of a slow connection. Yesterday was a day with 2 rounds. The morning round was a success for Kiron with a great attack. We also had 2 draws for Maryann and Ali. Andrew was +12 on fritz but still somehow lost. The afternoon round was more successful with 4.5/9. Andrew won despite his opponent having a mate in 7 (a bit of a topsy-turvy day for him!), and Hamish won a quick game against an argentinian 1787. Also there were wins for Colin and Cristina and a draw for Anna. Everyone in the team is safe and well and hopefully there will be some good results after today's rest day.
Looks like a mixed bag of results yesterday. Two major shout outs for me so far are Maryann with a +350 performance and Anna Milton.

We scored 2 points in Round 3 with Draws for Maryann and Ali and a win for Kieron

Round 4 we fared better with 4.5 with wins for Andrew, Hamish, Cristina and Colin and a Draw for Anna

Round 5 looks pretty tough, I am going to predict 4 points today as I can see us causing some shocks

Good luck!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Just saw Angus' post Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Quote:Andrew won despite his opponent having a mate in 7 (a bit of a topsy-turvy day for him!)
Thats chess! I often feel that the difference in pure chess abilities between players within a few 100 grading points of each other is less than we think when we play. Often the 'better' player take more of their chances when they come, have fewer lapses of concentration at the end of the game or whatever.

Some good results! Keep it up!
I am delighted that everyone has got on the scoreboard. Phil had told me how important this was before I went to Bulgaria and how right he was. All got a boost when that final chalk appeared against every member of the squad. The rest day is a good chance to cool down, relax and take stock of the pretty hectic few days leading up to it. It is also a good chance to get refocused on the level that is required to achieve results. They don't come any tougher than this and if you approach the next series of games with a positive attitude, coupled with a determination to achieve the best results possible, you will come home proud and we will be so proud of you too.

Robin.
A fantastic day today ! Colin gets the most stars on his report card for a brilliant result but a great day in general. Anna tells me that she won in an endgame which I am chuffed to bits about as her endgame before going to the Euroyouths at Bulgaria was zilch. I am also so happy for Cristina. She tried so hard under pressure at Bulgaria that she wasn't playing her own best game. She has had two chalks in a row and can now relax and concentrate totally on adding to it without worrying about getting on the scoreboard. Massive congratulations all round, keep concentrating and focused to the last move of the last game !

Robin.
Yep - great set of results. Well done. Just surprised to see that Ian's result are missing, and he no longer is listed in the Rd6 draw? Hope thats just a computer glitch?

EDIT: Just noticed that the whole of the U16 section has gone AWOL and not just Ian!
Wins yesterday for Anna, Andrew, Colin, Cristina and Ian with draws for Ali and Kiron

All playing well now and all 12 playing their part in supporting each other. Helping each other prep and working with the prep we are receiving from home!

Some big games today! They all have fantastic focus which is a credit to themselves and their parents/mentors and coaches.

thanks from all for the support from home.

Will try to post Colin's game up from yesterday as it was outstanding. Some really good games from other players also. Focusing on today's games for now.

Angus
Colin's game is in the games section. Very smooth performance.
Wow ! I have just looked through that game of Colin's and it was very impressive. Calum, did that follow a prepared line? Btw his Slovakian opponent had a grade of 1879.

Robin.