Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U16 Olympiad Hungary
Andy,

If you go up a couple of posts you will find a link to him talking about the tournament to one of the organisers. His age, I guess, might be the reason they have him in position five.
FIDE ratings at that age don't tend to be very accurate, it's likely they went by Irish ratings
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ratings.icu.ie/icu_ratings/juniors">http://ratings.icu.ie/icu_ratings/juniors</a><!-- m -->

Not sure exactly when the Irish team was selected but they are playing in live national grading order.
Thanks guys, it makes sense now Smile
Daniel Dwyer, the nine year old position five selection for Ireland is clearly a very useful and progressive player. He has a live Irish national grade of 1622 , a Fide grade of 1777 and a rating performance at the U16 Olympiad so far as 1773.

He scored 5.5 out of 6 at the Glorney event in Stirling playing board four for Ireland (U12 section) with a rating performance of 1802.

The Ireland selectors clearly feel he has merited his place in this top international event.

Should Scotland take players to an event of this nature (U16 World (Olympiad) level) if we are fortunate enough to have players of a similar ability and age to that of Daniel ?...

Or should there be a minimum age that players must reach to play in this top event incase they feel isolated from their own team and other players?
robin moore Wrote:Should Scotland take players to an event of this nature (U16 World (Olympiad) level) if we are fortunate enough to have players of a similar ability and age to that of Daniel ?...

Or should there be a minimum age that players must reach to play in this top event in case they feel isolated from their own team and other players?

The answer to this is to involve the parents at all stages. For juniors U12 and lower families nearly always insist on sending at least one parent. Once that happens it becomes easy provided the head of delegation consults with the parent.

The critical thing to always remember is that with a parent on site the chaperones have not taken over all the in loco parentis responsibilities.

Coaching sessions need not be 100% compulsory. It might be that for the odd game the Head of Delegation instructs the coach not to go through the game with the player with the player. Let the parent deliver the pep talk or here's a radical idea - don't have a pep talk and simply trust the youngster to be self motivated.
robin moore Wrote:Should Scotland take players to an event of this nature (U16 World (Olympiad) level) if we are fortunate enough to have players of a similar ability and age to that of Daniel ?...

Or should there be a minimum age that players must reach to play in this top event incase they feel isolated from their own team and other players?

I think the only sensible answer to this is 'decide on a case by case basis'. Some kids will be more comfortable with / able to cope with this sort of thing than others. I certainly don't think it's something that we should avoid on principle if a sufficiently talented player exists, but I can also imagine that there would be people for whom it wouldn't be appropriate.

(And yeah, I'd expect that at least one of a nine-year-old's parents would want to travel to this kind of event.)
Back to the chess, this is an exciting match!

(As I wrote this, Lennart took a draw. 30...Qa1+ 31.Kf2 Ba3 didn't work yet because of Qd8+, but how about 30...Kg7 preparing it?)
Yeah good chess on all boards. What's going on in Murad's game. Don't see why his knight is worse than a rook Big Grin
Such a tense game, I'm nervous just watching it!